What's new

A place I like

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
670
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Criticism would be welcome. I'm trying to learn.

AguaFriadawn.jpg
 
The bush... whilst it's place correctly in terms of the rule of thirds... I think it just lacks impact/interest.

What settings did you use for the shot?
 
Thanks for the response. I took this in February one day before dawn, shortly after I got my first DSLR, and I had the camera set on "P" at ISO 100. The light was quite low and it was dead calm. It chose 1/100 and F8.0. Now I'd probably set the ISO at 800, set the camera on aperture value, pick F20 or 22 and let the camera decide the exposure time. I don't know if that's right.

"I think it [the bush] just lacks impact/interest." I've had the same thought.
 
I like it, but yea, I think the shot would stand alone better without the bush. The colors are very dramatic though, and the sky looks great.

Now I'd probably set the ISO at 800

Now, why would you want to set to ISO 800? I think you'll get way too much grain. Did you have a tripod?
 
Nice colours and exposure, agree with the others, lose the bush! As Marcus said, too much noise/grain at 800 - this is a tripod shot. I think a 1 stop grad ND would have really punched up the sky as well.
 
BUSH GETS LOW APPROVAL RATING

Thanks to all for bothering to respond. What you didn't criticize encourages me.

I think I used a tripod on this one. If not, I certainly should have. Apparently my thoughts about adjusting the ISO were, uh, not good ones. I'm still getting the hang of all this!

Consider the bush lost. I think you're all correct. I thought something was needed for foreground interest and it was the only nominee.
 
Beautiful colors and form to me even though the bush is,.. as mentioned.

I'd stick with the lowest iso, smallest aperture (like you said) and let the camera pick the rest (or meter and decide yourself if you're feeling adventurous).

Always composition though.
 
Thanks. Composition is the tough part.
 
Beautiful colors and form to me even though the bush is,.. as mentioned.

I'd stick with the lowest iso, smallest aperture (like you said) and let the camera pick the rest (or meter and decide yourself if you're feeling adventurous).

Always composition though.

sorry to hijack the thread - I love the Capt. Kangaroo avatar though!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
 
It doesn't impact me much. There's nothing of real interest in it. Granted it's a place you like and by all means you shoot what you want to shoot. It just doesn't do it for me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom