a portrait

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Evertking, Aug 14, 2019.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yup a HOTEL POOL. As of a 5 days ago all 21 Mississippi gulf beaches were closed due to toxic algae. Alabama beaches have been closed off and on all summer. As of a few days ago the algae bloom was still confined to Mississippi, but with the surge in temperatures that might change. Throughout the summer there's been numerous cases along the coast of a flesh eating bacteria contracted from the water. Several serious injuries and a few deaths, have been reported. I'd make sure to pay attention to the warnings, and not go in the water with any cuts, or skin breaks. As beaches go, I prefer Gulf Shores for it's clean white sand. Gulf Shores State Park, has a really nice beach area, and the mile long pier. We'll be going south next month, had intended on going to Gulf Shores, but with all the warnings, we may drift over to NO, and skip the beach till cold weather.

If you do go to Mobile, don't forget the USS Alabama and the museum. It is really something to see, and the kids will enjoy.

If you get closer to Pensacola, you need to go to NAS Pensacola. They have an outstanding museum there, lots of planes, and NAS is home to the Blue Angels. If they're in town they have practice days open to the public, parking, and admission to the bleachers, and the museum is free. Here's a link to NAS https://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/blue-angels/ there's a schedule there. If you go to practice, there's a wide concrete apron between the hangers and the bleachers. The bleacher seating is kind of tight, hard to swing a long lens without hitting someone, so I stand on the concrete apron up next to the fence. Heads up warning, pay attention, one slipped in from the Gulf right over me, almost made me wet my pants. There are numerous really nice beaches between Gulf Shores and Pensacola.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. Evertking

Evertking How do I turn this thing on? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I remember you saying something about that. I guess we got lucky and was there when it was open. We didn't know anything about it and was all in there swimming but ****, now that i think about it, we did pretty much have the whole beach to ourselves. Everyone still has their flesh.
    So this flesh-eating bacteria is a common thing around those parts?

• Like Like x 1
  3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  4. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo TPF Noob!

Everytking:
    Based on your OP, it sounds like you might be new to portrait photography. So the takeaway here is if your subject is not a model who knows how to work the camera, you have to direct them to pose. One the most asked questions is what do I do with my hands. So you have to be prepared for that question. Look at other pros work for ideas.

In addition, when a client shows up with bold patterned apparel, it’s your job to find work arounds. It might be the way you pose them or place them somewhere to minimize the bold appearance.
    Regarding the location, you have to pay attention to extraneous features. If the location does anything to detract from your subject, move.

Find ways to help your client relax. You might try talking with them to build a rapport. If you are trying things for the first time, talk about that and your goals. Also consider talking to your client about their goals or expectations. Also don’t be afraid to show your client how they appear in the images. This may help them understand why you’re directing them the way you do. Keep trying!

5. BillM

BillM TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Honestly I'd probably just trash can that one, or do this with it

48546117591_9a097bd051_k.jpg

6. texxter

texxter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Lovely subject to photograph and beautiful smile! The exposure is perfect and I love the background on the first photo. The one thing I noticed on the first two images of the series is that the lighting looks artificial because the sunlight comes from behind but the flash is clearly in front. This is not wrong, of course, as it is your creative choice, but one can tell that the picture is lit artificially. On the last image, however, you've placed the flash on the same side of the sun, and the resulting light looks much more natural. Good job!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  7. paigew

paigew Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the last one the best, particularly, the more directional lighting. In the first two the lighting is flat and sort of makes it look like she was shot in a fake backdrop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

8. Michael Donald

Michael Donald TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit