A Question For Mods...

Steve, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. As others have said, I'm not a moderator, but I think it would be great to help keep your dad alive by sharing the photos.

So sorry for your loss, Steve. :hug::

Based on what you've shared with us about him, I think it would tickle us all to see some of your family photos. Can't imagine there would be any of us on the team who'd give you a hard time about posting them - please do!

Take care, and feel free to post what you'd like when you feel ready. :heart:

Sorry for your loss Steve. I would be honored to see those photos and take part in celebrating his life.

Last edited:
sorry for your loss

So sorry for your loss Steve.

Yes, very sorry for your loss and I agree with the rest; I'd love to see the photos!

My dad passed away just over 9 years ago and I still miss him like crazy. He used to hoard quarters rather than dollar bills--he had them stashed EVERYwhere. Some in rolls, some just loose in socks, in his briefcase (which he hadn't used in 20 years for anything except hoarding quarters). I don't remember what the final count was, but it was several hundred dollars.

He, too, never lost his sense of humor. He had Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and vascular dementia; didn't know what world he was in, but he still had his weird, dry sense of humor. My mom would sit on the bed and ask him how he felt, and he'd say, "with my fingers." :lmao:

Cherish the memories, and I look forward to you sharing some of those memories with us through his photos.

Very sorry to hear of your loss! Losing any member of the family is a hard thing.

As for the site policy, I'm somewhat late but yes by all means post them. We generally operate along the lines of "don't post what you don't own the copyright/distribution rights of". With a somewhat lenient take for family members sharing an account to post photos and in your case there isn't any opposition to showing them.

My Dad passed away yesterday. He was 80, and had lived a full life. Unfortunately, he lit his first cigarette when he was 8 years old and never stopped. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in late December.

It doesn't take long.

My brother and I have been going through his things, and we've come across a lot of old photos. Some of them are of his when he was 15 years old, posing with the same buddy with whom he'd meet twice a week for a couple of beers at the local gin mill. They've been friends over 70 years.

My question to the mods: Would it be permissible to post some of those photos here? I certainly didn't take them and, unfortunately, there's no way to know who did; at least the ones of Dad. They're some cool photos. Many would require some repair work in Photoshop, so I'm wondering if it would be permissible to post them from that perspective.

Oh, and who the Hell has $960.00 in one dollar bills in a sock drawer? There's not a stripper pole within 20 miles of here!

Steve, very sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences to you and your family. As to the legal question on photo copyrights, it depends on when the photograph was taken. If the pictures were never published (and from the sounds of it I'm guessing such is the case) then they will not fall under the public domain. That would only apply to pictures published prior to 1923. If the photos were never published then the copyright belongs to the original photographer as long as he or she is alive, or if the photographer has passed away the copyright is passed as part of the photographers estate to his/her heirs and is protected for 70 years after the photographers passing, only after that point would they be considered public domain.

While I seriously doubt anyone would come after you for using the photos sadly if I'm interpreting the fair use law correctly they wouldn't even technically fall under that. A very bizarre situation to be sure. Granted I'm no legal expert and the final decision is entirely up to the mods/admins of TPF. I can't imagine that most of the copyright holders of these images are even aware they have the copyrights, and I seriously doubt any of them would object at all to having you post the photos even if they were aware. Again, sorry to hear about your dad and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on TPF's final ruling.

The people who took the photos were my Dad's buddies; shipmates from the USS Oriskany (CV-34). They've never been published.

And thanks for the condolences!

Last edited:
My dad passed away just over 9 years ago and I still miss him like crazy. He used to hoard quarters rather than dollar bills--he had them stashed EVERYwhere. Some in rolls, some just loose in socks, in his briefcase (which he hadn't used in 20 years for anything except hoarding quarters). I don't remember what the final count was, but it was several hundred dollars.

Oh, but I only told you about the paper money:

$64.00 in pennies
$60.00 in nickels
$90.00 in dimes
$280.00 in quarters
$87.00 in half dollars
$47.00 in dollar coins

All of this was in his safe or his dresser drawers. I though it was funny that the dollar bills were in his sock drawer but, man, gotta' safeguard those dimes! Get 'em in the safe!

Stuff like that is what we're laughing about. Stuff like that and the box of Tic-Tacs with a .40 price tag on them from Caldor. Caldor shut its doors for good in, I believe, 1999...

Very sorry to hear of your loss! Losing any member of the family is a hard thing.

As for the site policy, I'm somewhat late but yes by all means post them. We generally operate along the lines of "don't post what you don't own the copyright/distribution rights of". With a somewhat lenient take for family members sharing an account to post photos and in your case there isn't any opposition to showing them.

Thank you; I appreciate it.

As soon as we get back to Florida we plan on going through his things again and organizing them (Organization was not one of Dad's strong suits). I'll get them scanned and posted. There are some pretty cool ones.

Thanks again...

Sorry for your loss Steve. My condolences to you and your entire family.

I am sorry for your loss Steve.

The people who took the photos were my Dad's buddies; shipmates from the USS Oriskany (CV-34). They've never been published.

Well I did a bit of research last night and again, with the caveat that I am not a legal expert, just some schmuck on the internet, I think it is possible to accomplish your goal without violating copyright. If were to post just the pictures themselves I doubt anyone would raise any sort of a fuss over it but by the strictest technical definition of the law that could be considered a copyright violation. However, if you were to post the pictures as well as an article detailing the events surrounding them then that is considered news, and as such they would fall under the "Fair Use" provision and it would not be a violation of copyright. So as long as you present it in that fashion you should be in the clear legally and still be able to post the pictures - which would be great, because I'd love to see them.

Hope that helps.

Well I did a bit of research last night and again, with the caveat that I am not a legal expert, just some schmuck on the internet, I think it is possible to accomplish your goal without violating copyright. If were to post just the pictures themselves I doubt anyone would raise any sort of a fuss over it but by the strictest technical definition of the law that could be considered a copyright violation. However, if you were to post the pictures as well as an article detailing the events surrounding them then that is considered news, and as such they would fall under the "Fair Use" provision and it would not be a violation of copyright. So as long as you present it in that fashion you should be in the clear legally and still be able to post the pictures - which would be great, because I'd love to see them.

Hope that helps.

Well, I would certainly write some editorial content to accompany them.

Thanks for the information!

You could probably make a flickr or similar library account to load all of the material into - providing a single resource documenting the photos. I've seen a fair few people doing this with things like their parents photos and such.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back