A recommended book/website about light&exposure in photography

rfe777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I want to buy a good recommended book about light&exposure in photography and it's effect on the whole process of taking the picture, and of location, time, reflections etc. As light is, IMHO, the "heart" of all photography, I want to fully understand it so I can become better with the shots I take and to improve to the next level and beyond.

I'm also interested in recommended websites about this subject, although a book suits me better(maybe I'm old fashioned...)

TIA

This is a no brainer. Get the following book.

Understanding Exposure
By: Bryan Peterson

The one i have for my kindle is the 3rd edition. Not sure if there is a newer one, but ive read it cover to cover. Very informative.

He explains how to freeze motion and how to show movement with shutter speed and pretty much how to shoot in any kind of lighting or situation.

Understanding exposure is a really great book i recomend it highly

All books from Bryan Peterson are awesome

start with
Understanding Exposure
I also recommend Under flash photography by him as well

i am currently reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

I find youtube to be a great place to learn photography. However, the best and effective place to learn is by going out and shoot. When you are shooting, whatever you read may not come to your mind till you got home. So, practice is the only way.

If you really want to learn from ground zero and into the stratosphere...I would totally recommend a correspondence course. I was where you are about 15 years ago and wanted to learn the right way.

There are many many great books and the recommendations that have been provided are all good. The difference between a book and a correspondence course is that with a course, you are interacting with a real live organization that will give you projects to shoot for as you go through the lessons and provide actual critique of your images as you do. This was the perfect way for me to learn...at my own pace. New York Institute of Photography is who I worked through and it was perfect. Their website is New York Institute of Photography

For what it's worth...

Most reactions

Back