A second attempt at still life photography

Mystgicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How did I do this time?
_DSC9828-Edit.jpg

I like it. Do you shoot with that Leica?

Technically, the image is fine. It has a bit of a yellow cast, 'though that doesn't necessarily detract and there are some hot spots on the model's hull. My question is: What's the point? What is the subject. There's no common thread to relate the objects. A camera, model ship and three un-related books. If the books were of a maritime theme, and the camera, say, a compass... THEN you'd be getting somewhere. Keep at it. The artistic aspect of images like this is far more difficult to master than the technical.

Technically, the image is fine. It has a bit of a yellow cast, 'though that doesn't necessarily detract and there are some hot spots on the model's hull. My question is: What's the point? What is the subject. There's no common thread to relate the objects. A camera, model ship and three un-related books. If the books were of a maritime theme, and the camera, say, a compass... THEN you'd be getting somewhere. Keep at it. The artistic aspect of images like this is far more difficult to master than the technical.
Thanks for pointing out what's missing! Should've put more thought in building the scene. Art is something I should work harder at. I was trying to symbolise my personal history - the books are what I read growing up; the model ship was bought as a souvenir on our honeymoon; and the camera, though not a family heirloom, is what I enjoy doing in my spare time.

Last edited:
... I was trying to symbolise my personal history - the books are what I read growing up; the model ship was bought as a souvenir on our honeymoon; and the camera, though not a family heirloom, is what I enjoy doing in my spare time.
That works too; but as the viewer we're not aware of that. Why not try a self-portrait with these items in the image?

I think it's the lighting that's holding me back. Am I seeing two lights to the left of the camera?

You have some interesting textures and shapes in the scene, but I feel you can do a lot more to depict that.

-Pete

Why not try a self-portrait with these items in the image?

Or a framed picture from childhood and/or a framed wedding photo, and travel brochures. The list is endless when you are building a still life from scratch. The main thing to always remember is tell the story, because the viewer doesn't know anything except what's in the image. It's your job to be sure there's enough there for the viewer to tie the bits and pieces together.

Also you need to read up on the elements of a good composition. Here's a quick read to start The 8 Elements of Composition in Art While it's okay to not follow the rules you better have a good grasp on things like Rule of Thirds in Photography or the The Golden Ratio In Photography | Icon Photography School or the "rule of odds" and rule of space. These and more are based on principals that create harmony and balance in your composition.

On another note, I'm not overly thrilled with the flat light either. Like Pete says above proper lighting adds shadow, and drama to any image. Good lighting enhances shapes, textures and details, bad lighting destroys. Here's a good starter https://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0415719402

Creating a good still life is more then just throwing a few objects into a pile and taking a picture.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly, I don't think that everything in the photo needs to be related to each other. I do find this scene a bit contrived, but not because there aren't nautical-themed books or whatever. It just looks like you're trying a bit too hard to have things too perfectly arranged.

In general, though I agree about the flat lighting, which can kill a good set-up and composition. I often think of still life images as capturing that little corner of a room or part of a table or whatever that is totally ordinary at most parts of the day, but for the 30 minutes or so when it catches the intense quality of low-angle early morning or evening light, with those long shadows, the ordinary becomes magical, no matter what objects happen to be in the path of that light.

Last edited:
It's a little bit too close-in; the book titles are cropped off on two of the three books, and the camera is quite close to the right edge of the frame. The incomplete book titles on the spine of the two books cause mental discord for me...it's just too tightly-framed on the books. I think the idea is basically good, but if the camera had been a bit farther away, I think the shot would have been stronger by way of showing the books and the titles of all three volumes. Keep at it,and you'll likely improve your still-life shooting. It is NOT an easy thing, to be able to take unrelated,inanimate objects, and to make interesting photos of them.

I think it's the lighting that's holding me back. Am I seeing two lights to the left of the camera?

You have some interesting textures and shapes in the scene, but I feel you can do a lot more to depict that.

-Pete
Thanks for pointing out the lighting. I'm still in the process of experimenting. So you would suggest a harder light source, or maybe at a steeper angle to bring out the textures?

Why not try a self-portrait with these items in the image?

Or a framed picture from childhood and/or a framed wedding photo, and travel brochures. The list is endless when you are building a still life from scratch. The main thing to always remember is tell the story, because the viewer doesn't know anything except what's in the image. It's your job to be sure there's enough there for the viewer to tie the bits and pieces together.

Also you need to read up on the elements of a good composition. Here's a quick read to start The 8 Elements of Composition in Art While it's okay to not follow the rules you better have a good grasp on things like Rule of Thirds in Photography or the The Golden Ratio In Photography | Icon Photography School or the "rule of odds" and rule of space. These and more are based on principals that create harmony and balance in your composition.

On another note, I'm not overly thrilled with the flat light either. Like Pete says above proper lighting adds shadow, and drama to any image. Good lighting enhances shapes, textures and details, bad lighting destroys. Here's a good starter https://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0415719402

Creating a good still life is more then just throwing a few objects into a pile and taking a picture.
Nice source of info! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Honestly, I don't think that everything in the photo needs to be related to each other. I do find this scene a bit contrived, but not because there aren't nautical-themed books or whatever. It just looks like you're trying a bit too hard to have things too perfectly arranged.

In general, though I agree about the flat lighting, which can kill a good set-up and composition. I often think of still life images as capturing that little corner of a room or part of a table or whatever that is totally ordinary at most parts of the day, but for the 30 minutes or so when it catches the intense quality of low-angle early morning or evening light, with those long shadows, the ordinary becomes magical, no matter what objects happen to be in the path of that light.
It's true that I staged this scene. Trying to learn something new each time~ haha

It's a little bit too close-in; the book titles are cropped off on two of the three books, and the camera is quite close to the right edge of the frame. The incomplete book titles on the spine of the two books cause mental discord for me...it's just too tightly-framed on the books. I think the idea is basically good, but if the camera had been a bit farther away, I think the shot would have been stronger by way of showing the books and the titles of all three volumes. Keep at it,and you'll likely improve your still-life shooting. It is NOT an easy thing, to be able to take unrelated,inanimate objects, and to make interesting photos of them.

Good catch on the book spines. It's indeed causing unnecessary attention. Thanks for the input!

Most reactions

Back