A Sensitive shoot.......EXTREMELY pic heavy

All this talk about struggles and emotion... but no mention of what the actual struggle was is like posting a status on Facebook that says, "Oh my god, what a hard thing this is to deal with. I'm so depressed now", and then all your FB friends leave comments like, "Oh no, girl! What happened?! Are you okay?!", and then you come back with, "Ugh, just a lot of stuff. You know, depressing stuff. That depressed me. It was hard", and then they come back with, "But like, what kind of stuff? Anything I can help you with?", and then you come back with, "Some hard stuff I had to deal with, you know?"

...and then an a**hole like me comes in and says, "Hey. Sorry your day was so depressing and hard and junk, but if you had no intention of elaborating, then why bother even POSTING about it? JUST to be cryptic? That's annoying."†

SO. Here goes:

I'm sorry that the model has gone through a lot of stuff. And I'm glad you were able to be there for her, however... lots of photographers create a lot of photos of lots of people who are going through stuff. If they make mention of the fact that someone is going through something hard, it's usually accompanied by a story. Otherwise, they usually just make the photo and don't say anything at all if it's not anything that adds to the image.

I feel like I'm stuck in between here.

You keep talking about all this hard stuff she went through, and how emotional it was for you to photograph her and what not, but you never actually say WHY or WHAT any of it is, so I'm inclined to dismiss it from having anything to do with the photos themselves. It sounds more like you're making excuses before anyone gets a chance to give their feedback on the images.

So if there's a relevant story to accompany these images, by all means share it, but if not... there's no need to mention how emotional all this stuff was, when there are plenty of photos posted of models and everyday people emoting their emotions without a cryptic tagline to go along with it, haha.

So... What. The hell. Happened? :lmao:

[Assuming that you're not actually going to tell us I'm gonna go ahead and critique these anyway... ]

1. I don't like any of the out of focus ones. I get what you were attempting to do, but it wasn't executed well.

2. Whomever made mention of the bra... is right. It's riding too high... I realize sometimes you'll see a strap under the other strap, but when you can see the top "triangle" of the cup itself... the dress is too low, or the bra is too high... a better match needed to be made wardrobe wise. Although with that dress, looks like it had built in support, I have to wonder why she bothered wearing a bra at all.

3. If any of these are considered "provocative" then I have MAJORLY been desensitized, and I will probably soon find myself in trouble with the way I photograph high school senior girls. :lol: I don't think these are provocative.

4. Love number one. I like your framing, her expression is good.

5. Number 3 feels stiff. Not a fan of her posing or expression in that one.

6. I like her expression in #4. I wish you would have pulled out the framing more though to give her more room to "breath". She looks like she's daydreaming or immensely happy about something and I don't think that tight of a crop is allowing for that size of emotion. :sillysmi:

7. Number 7 is my absolute favorite from this set. Hands down. Print that sh*t and hang it on the wall. :lol: I love her expression, I like your framing. I love the way her hair is blowing. It's good.

8. I love 8 and 9 too, but in 8 I think you need to crop down from the top a bit, and in 9 I wish you hadn't cut off her elbows.

9. I don't understand why you cut off ankles in 15. I get it was requested, but WHY? It looks wrong.

10. And in the last one, she looks sleepy or high. It's also cropped a hair too tight in my opinion.

OVERALL... I'd say you did a great job of getting some awesome expressions out of her and capturing what she was giving you. You do still need to work on some composition aspects and I didn't mind most of your PP, but some of it needs some work.

I bet she loved these. :sillysmi:

†For the record, I'd never actually post that on Facebook, but I think it all the damn time.

YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING! WOW...I am SOOO grateful for all the CC. I took note and laughed a bit too......I SOOOO want to tell you her incredible story but part of me feels it is not my place. I made mention of it for a few reasons. As a mom to 3 girls I felt a little cautious taking some of these-she is only 13. I'm not a prude by any means but I do feel girls and guys grow up waaayyy too fast. Also, given her incredibly amazing execution of dramatic expressions I had to add what was fueling it. So, LOL...e-rose I will leave you with some hints....the ankles (body image).....there is more to it but I would obsess all night if I said something out of guilt. I kind of think her expressions possibly tell a story of her feelings. ;) Lol..okay so you got me! i just had twins and I have not been out on a shoot ALONE in a loooooonnnggg time so the finger was trigger happy. Oh how I missed that shutter button and missed holding the camera without at least one baby in hand. This was only down the road for me and I left my husband with both babies and my other two girls - I was sort of in a rush because at any moment there could have been a crisis. Ya know, diaper exploson or something.

Again...I REALLY appreciate the cc.....anyone else think I totally screwed up the wb?

Again...I REALLY appreciate the cc.....anyone else think I totally screwed up the wb?

I actually don't mind your WB in most of these.

Is it spot on ACTUALLY white where the whites would be? No, but I think the way you have them balanced helps the feel of the image.

Not everything has to be straight WB all the time. :sexywink:

There's only an issue if they don't look the way you were trying to get them to look.

Most reactions

Back