A Shot at Studio

Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone : ). I know what I need to change for next time and have developed a few new ideas from this thread. Thanks!

Oh, and as a final contribution to this thread. Here is a tandem birthday 'greeting' to all 3+ of you out there today/yesterday :)
forum_bdaycard1.jpg

This series is fantastic! You've got such a natural eye and talent working with children. I think you would do very well if you decide to pursue portrait work. Thank you for sharing these with us!

awesome stuff brittany....putting the rest of us to shame ;) i think you've done a fantastic job and if that's all the PS work you have to do then your'e doing great.
keep em coming.

AprilRamone: Glad to hear your opinion on the text. I actually originally had the third one's text in the same place as 'Fishy, fishy, fishy', but there was so much extra white space above. I am still uncertain if this one will be printed, and if so, even if I will have text. If yes, then where? So it was great to hear your views on that.

Hey Brittany,
I think with the 3rd one you might just have to play around with it more? I can see why you didn't want to put it in the same spot as the "fishy" text. But, if you can somehow figure out a way to have it in the white space without taking away so much focus from the image. Maybe a different font or reducing the opacity of the font? Another color? I'm not sure.

As far as the 50's baby text goes, I think that one would work if you did it in the border instead of right next to his head. But, that's probably just a matter of personal preferences. Perhaps if you figure out a clever way to use the text in the 3rd one you could do the same with this one?

Good luck! And, I agree with Alison, you'd do great if you decided to do this for $!

How does one go about getting such a crisp white background. Did you take them in a Studio? or are you taking a "Shot at building" your own studio? I really want to do this type of work and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction! Thanks.

BTW: They really are some amazing shots, my favorite is the one with the worms.

Damn dude, The technical perfection in these and the facial expressions are amazing!

You can shoot my future children anytime!

Thanks Alison, Jon, iPanzica and Sw1tchFX.

iPanzica: The most beneficial thing I could do before this was to read 'Lighting Techniques for High Key Portrait Photography' by Norman Phillips, and I only read half of it before these. The lighting was the basic high key lighting with two flashes on the background (heavy white paper on a stand) in addition to a very large octalite behind me. (I was laying on the floor with my elbows propped up on a dog's bed. You can see the top of the camera in the reflection of the fish bowl actually, as well as the father's head and shoulders. So techically, they were a studio, though one just set up a person's home. (Actually, none of the equipment I used was was mine. All borrowed. Thank you world for generous people :D) The background lights were metered to f/16 I believe and the octalite to f/11. In the future, I would probably up the background lights at least half a stop, as I did have to use a screen layer in photoshop on the background to 'whiten' it. I actually found in retrospect that using levels/curves is actually much more time effective. Other then that, photoshopped out the edge of the plexiglass.

Sw1tchFX: All the facial expressions credit goes to David and his mother, who was making the silliest of expressions to get him to grin, giggle, etc. etc. :) Even after a missed nap.

Actually, seeing as this kind of goes with the series, and coulnd't be posted otherwise, or else it looks like an individual with reverse acromegaly... it was too sweet to pass by

295012958_679da3f63b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back