A Still from 5DII Video

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The more I learn to use the 5DII video, the more and more I am impressed. Here's a still grabbed while playing the video in quicktime.

refFrame.jpg

Amazing, the only complaint is some CA on his jersey, but heh, probably bad lighting, and this is after all a video.

Yeah I accidentally dragged a .mov to Photoshop today & it just opened up the first frame. :lol: Nice!

BTW - I'm debugging video codec's right now. The H264 recompression out of After Effects is looking lighter and compromised compared to much bigger MPEGb at similar settings (50% quality for example).

Also learning which codec will work with Youtube 'HD'...

So if you edit clips maybe look at which compressor you choose.

-Shea

EDIT: OK, the H264 will enable youtube HD, so now to crank up the quality and look at that gamma problem...

Yeah I've been sorting through tonight's basketball videos - if I stay with it it will be a late night - it's a couple hours later here than where you are.

Haven't noticed any gamma issues yet. Hmm...I'll be using Premiere Pro CS4 and AE CS4. Not sure which one yet. I bought Quicktime Pro for 29 bucks and it has been a very good way to split the videos very quickly (using the io keys for setting markers). I arranged my video clips and saved those new ones....ready to import into the program of my choosing sometime in the near future.

Question for you - why do you choose AE instead of Premiere Pro?

AE & Premiere Pro are two different animals (I have licenses for both @ CS3 level)... AE is more like photoshop with motion, layers - compositing - where PPro is closer to FinalCUT or any application were you are more concerned about transitions and timeline editing, mixing with music, etc.

AE composites can become very sophisticated, with nested compositions, tracking, stabilization and advanced color correction, grading and conforming to mix a few terms.

BTW - I may be confusing perceived gamma issues with neutral picture style experiments. Funny thing is I uploaded a 'hot' test file to the tube and it normalized after processing. Strange.

I'm starting to gather questions and techniques, although I don't think I will be twisting the lens :lmao:

Go to sleep man, tomorrow is another day. -S

thanks, yeah it sounds like Premiere Pro is the one for me. Maybe a mix of the two. I recently purchased Adobe Master Collection CS4. I'm a student, so the software is very cheap (relatively) for me.

I was trying to play a video clip I shot with the 5d through quicktime and it is jumpy on my pc. Am I doing something wrong or have to update something. Plays fine on the camera at 1080.

I was trying to play a video clip I shot with the 5d through quicktime and it is jumpy on my pc. Am I doing something wrong or have to update something. Plays fine on the camera at 1080.

yeah both of my computers played it real choppy on the computer, no matter the player I used. There's a trial to a codec for Media Player that let me play it (though it didn't look necessarily great) called CoreAVC. Then it wasn't real choppy, but it was still a problem for editing.

Turns out, h.264 and 1080p are extremely demanding on a computer, and require a card that can handle h264 1080p within the graphic card's processor itself. Specs for the card should say. My current computers had only supported 1080i/720p h264, so 1080p h264 was bumming power from the cpu (very fast CPUs).

After getting a new computer with a nice graphics card, it was totally worth it to see these videos going to a 24" Samsung T240 at full 1080p resolution. WOW, really unbelievable.

The 4:3 mode - 640 X 480 looks great too, why wouldn't it right. And your lighter machines cans play it.

Can you even author 1280 X 1080P DVDs anyway.. AKA got a blue ray burner and authoring tool.. I wish it came with the hdmi cable, I would love to see live HD!

With a history of rendering animation all these file management and performance issues are no surprise to this old dog. I've already taken to rendering out PNG sequences of final AE composites, trashing the test shots for now.. lots of offline storage to fill, etc.

BTW - I think I just bought the last spare battery in N. America!

P.S. If you can resize to 1280 X 720 Youtube is now hosting HD -ish footage.

-Shea

BTW - I think I just bought the last spare battery in N. America!

P.S. If you can resize to 1280 X 720 Youtube is now hosting HD -ish footage.

-Shea

So you're the bastard! :mrgreen:

I was all over trying to get one. The local shop got three in and they flew off the shelf.

Anyhoo, my pc is geared towards 3D rendition so i might splurge for a new HD GPU. Have a Quadro FX 3450 now. Figured it might be strong enough to process these vids. Oh well, a new computer for the holidays it is. :D

haha last spare battery..wow. When I got my camera, I was the only one in Springfield to get it, and I bought two batteries like it was no big deal.

Yeah well you are lucky, they are back ordered all over the place.

Any trouble shooting L jpg + RAW? I can't seem to get the setting to stick - but it was dark and I may have missed something... or Live View kills it?

-Shea

Most reactions

Back