A Swiss Watch

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...Well, more of a clock really - but still Swiss.

IMG_3886-resize.jpg

IMG_3877-resize.jpg

IMG_3891-resize.jpg

These were all shot with a 350D w/ 100mm Macro (all shot at 1:1 too, BTW). I normally don't do B&W with digital (seems like I can never get it to look as good as film), but I want to get better at it so I thought I better try a few.

I know the flash (pop-up flash) completely blew out some areas... I'm working on that. After I figure something out for better lighting I plan on re-shooting this clock. I want to try it with the 70-200mm+50mm, via macro coupler (that should give me 4:1, right?) too - but I don't think I'll have enough DOF for something like this... I'll give it a try anyway though and see how it comes out.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Did I go too far with the contrast? I don't think so, but I wanted to know what you thought.

I think I like #2 the best, followed by #1.

PS - If anybody knows how to get this thing working again that would help too. ;)

Last edited:
I think the contrast might be a little high, but it's hard to judge; I suggest doing a reshoot with some nice diffuse lighting and maybe a longer exposure time.

How to get it running... geez, don'cha know anything??? You can clearly see that the laughinshaft has come loose from the gigglerod. Put it back on and your in business! ;)

I think I might be able to rig something up with a couple spot lights covered in tracing paper... I'll give that a try when I re-shoot this.

IMG_3909-resize.jpg

IMG_3920-resize.jpg

IMG_3929-resize.jpg

OK, I think these are a lot better. What do you think?

I think I like #5 best out of this set, maybe #4.

I have a color version very similar to #4 (same POV, opened up a little more - f/16, I think) that I like a lot.

Last edited:
Are they bad, or just boring?

I'm not looking for a pat on the back, but I would like to hear something...

I think the second 3 are much better than the first 3. Is there anything else I can do to make these better - or is it just a boring subject without much room for improvement?

I think #5 is the best of the 6. I liked the first 3 a lot at first, but after re-shooting it they don't look so good anymore.

now im really nobody to comment on anything technical or anything really at all but i really like them all espescially the last 3, i dont think the subject is boring as i think the intricate design is quite nice to look at.

Thanks. I don't think they're boring either (but I can see how some people might).

These are awesome! 1, 4, 5, and 6 ROCK!

I don't spend much time in the B&W section so I missed these before.

They are excellent!

You're welcome! I meant it.

Reviving my own thread, so it's OK. :lol:

I reshot this a few days ago on Efke KB 50. I think it looks much better on film...

04191123 by J E, on Flickr

Efke 50 in Xtol.

This one is similar to #6 above. (I do like this composition better too.) The difference in the fine detail blows me away... **** digital. :lol:

Most reactions

Back