A very special off shore island for a very special little bird (7 shots)

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shore Plover. Less than 250 of these little ones left, but the numbers are growing thanks to Mana island.

Mana Island is an offshore island in the north island of New Zealand. Run by the department of conservation and what a job they do throughout the country. They are my hero's !!. One of our Rodent free offshore islands around the country used for conservation.

1: Mana Island, sorry but landscapes is not my thing and it shows. Just to give you an idea. The south island of NZ in the background (around 14 miles away).

orig.jpg

2: So a very rare little bird about the size of a small sparrow

orig.jpg

3: So where they come into feed sometimes at Plimmerton is a 10 minute drive from home, its also where I take shots of the white fronted Terns.

orig.jpg

4: Keeping an eye out

orig.jpg

5: You looking at me

orig.jpg

6: Not a great shot, but with these I take what I can get

orig.jpg

7: Must be getting onto snooze time

orig.jpg

Sony NEX-7, Canon FD 500 F/4.5L

All the best folks.

Danny.

Great shots! And a very informative post it's nice to see they are making a comeback!

Interesting & beautiful. Yes, the people who help endangered species -- especially the volunteers -- are unsung heroes and heroines.

And your shot of Cook Strait is super too! Would love to see that from the cockpit of a sailboat!! Lee

Great shots and info. If I had to pick just one, it would be #3 for the pose.

It's always great to hear such stories where people are making an effort to protect a species. I never knew of these birds, a nice read and a great set of images Danny. I've always loved New Zealand as a country, would like to spend a few years there :)

Danny, those are first rate. Love #6, that one eye does it for me. Nicely done!

Great pictures Danny and an even better story :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back