White faced Heron's (7 images)

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't exactly have the variety of what you seem to have in other countries, so this is our white faced Heron.

1: Off and about

orig.jpg

2: Excuuuusssseeee me

orig.jpg

3: Look out, I'm coming around

orig.jpg

4: Man I'm hungry

orig.jpg

5: Is that it, is that really it !!

orig.jpg

6: Coming in, brakes on

orig.jpg

7: Touch down !!

orig.jpg

Sony NEX-7 and either the Canon FD 500 F/4.5L or the 800 F/5.6L

All the best folks and that's a few Heron shots. Not as colourful as some of your's.

Danny.

Last edited:
Wow! Can't really pick a fav here, every single one of them are outstanding shots. Thanks for sharing Danny, #2 made me chuckle :D

What can we say about Danny's stuff? Tack sharp, exceptional composition & capture very time. If I had to choose favorites, it would be 2 & 6. Lee

1 and 4 for me. So typical of this species behaviour, tack sharp and very clear against lovely and fitting backgrounds. I had a look at you exif on flickr. Is this all done with the little sony? Amazing and very impressive.

Wow! I hope I am this good some day. Wonderful stuff.:thumbup:

1 and 4 for me. So typical of this species behaviour, tack sharp and very clear against lovely and fitting backgrounds. I had a look at you exif on flickr. Is this all done with the little sony? Amazing and very impressive.

Thanks folks, but you have a lot more interesting Herons than we do.

Yes all the flickr shots are with the NEX-7. It was carefully picked for the sensor and the focus peaking for the MF legacy lenses. I don't own any AF lenses so the the NEX was bought for the lenses. Its a good combination. On the main site, 99% are with the NEX-7 as well.

All the best and thanks, appreciated.

Danny.

These are delightful images! And hey, most of US here in the US would LOVE to see a white-faced heron. I think we all like to see those rare, unique birds, and so of course, birds that are only in OTHER countries always hold a special attraction.

But you should just embrace what you DO have there. New Zealand is actually a pretty awesome places for birds, and you have quite a few species that are not native to most other places in the world. So, many of the birds you CAN get pictures of, most of the world is only likely to see in photos.

Have you ever been to a place called the Puketi Forest? i've heard it is a great place to find some of NZ's rarer bird species. You may also be interested in this site about NZ birds.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see something like a Masked Lapwing, or a Kakapo (before they're gone completely--according to the website linked above, they are only 126 known to still exist; sad!), a NZ Robin (they look like FIERCE little birds!)--plus you have PENGUINS!! Who wouldn't love to get pictures of Penguins that aren't in a zoo!! :D

These are all such tremendous photos that it is impossible to pick just one. However, I'll try. #5 with the fish in mid flip.

Great set - I think #5 stands out for me, too. Great results with that NEX!

Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic captures, I really like the one where he is in flight :)

Most reactions

Back