A65

sweetypie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Was wondering what everyone's opinion on this camera for a first dslr? Thank you

Honestly- any entry level dslr will be a good place to start! As long as you have complete control over settings most all cameras nowadays will provide excellent images, and it would be pretty difficult to be able to tell what picture came from what camera without already knowing.

You will probably get more helpful direction if you share a few more details with us.

What do you want to shoot?
What's your budget?

Would like to stay in the $1000 range...i enjoy taking scenic shots & family photos as well ...but i also want to be able to explore various lenses as well

I would like something i can hang onto for a while as well

I am absolutely in LOVE with mirror less cameras. The size and image quality make any "weaknesses" moot IMHO. For hiking, family outings etc it's nice to not be stuck lugging a heavy DSLR around. If you learn manual focus (and with focus peaking like on the sony cameras it's fool proof) then you have any lens at your fingertips. And with sony really investing in mirror less we are only going to see more native options in the coming times!

So sure- sony and nikons dslr's will be a great starter camera you would likly be happy with, and if you were interested in wildlife or sports then you might NEED a dslr. (Although with the new a6000 claiming faster AF than a dslr- maybe not :))But for what you are describing I would absolutely strongly consider a mirror less camera. They are such a joy to shoot with and image quality is phenomenal. Plenty of pros are making the switch, and the future is definitely in mirror less. Just my 2 cents.

I own and use the A65, A77, A560, & A200, do you have a specific question you need a answer for on the A65? My A77 & A560 both have grips so I tend to use larger zooms with those just to help with the balance. You can't put a grip on the A65 so if that is something you are interested in you might want to look at the A77.
1920271_10202603199417849_1784404643_n.jpg

I own and use the A65, A77, A560, & A200, do you have a specific question you need a answer for on the A65? My A77 & A560 both have grips so I tend to use larger zooms with those just to help with the balance. You can't put a grip on the A65 so if that is something you are interested in you might want to look at the A77.

I will look into the a77 ...i heard sony has a lot of issues they dont last ...so its good to hear from people that work with them...i was tossing between this or the nikon d5300 ...its so tough every-time i think i made my choice I change my mind again ...your input is a great help...thanks

So who told you Sony camera's "don't last", a Canon or Nikon user probably? I use my camera's in a very harsh environment, MX (motocross) and none of them have ever let me down or ever malfunctioned. I use Sun Sniper straps ( much beefier than the more poplar Black Rapid models) and my cameras are constantly being banged around my body and the ground when kneeling and they all keep on truckin'
The A77 also has a magnesium body, the Nikon 5000 series are plastic. If you go with a Sony just purchase a body only and I'll send you a new never mounted kit lens (18-55mm) for free, I have 2. When I purchased my A65 & A560 they were only available for purchase with that lens and I never even mounted them.

I love my a65. It works great, has the "good EVF". I would seriously consider pushing you budget and get a a77 as it has a better layout, weather sealed body, LCD display. Internally, a65 and a77 are the same, so no image quality difference.

I have had the A77 for about 3 years. I use it often, and have yet to have any issues with it. I take it both in my fishing trips and my 4X4 trips, so it's seen some rough usage, too. It has also handled being rained on fairly well (although I did get a rain coat for it; the body is sealed, but my lens is not, so better safe than sorry!). As far as the A65, that's also a pretty good camera; IIRC, it's basically an A77 with a few less features...

So who told you Sony camera's "don't last", a Canon or Nikon user probably? I use my camera's in a very harsh environment, MX (motocross) and none of them have ever let me down or ever malfunctioned. I use Sun Sniper straps ( much beefier than the more poplar Black Rapid models) and my cameras are constantly being banged around my body and the ground when kneeling and they all keep on truckin' The A77 also has a magnesium body, the Nikon 5000 series are plastic. If you go with a Sony just purchase a body only and I'll send you a new never mounted kit lens (18-55mm) for free, I have 2. When I purchased my A65 & A560 they were only available for purchase with that lens and I never even mounted them.

Thank you for that info ... Thats exactly what i needed to know...i want a camera that is durable & i can count on ...do you feel you can use different lenses ...another thing that i heard was sony was limited in lens...but that is what i was hoping to expand on was the use of different lenses ...i plan on purchasing within the next 2-3 weeks so what you said really made me second guess the nikon 5300 which was the one i was leaning towards ...thanks again

So who told you Sony camera's "don't last", a Canon or Nikon user probably? I use my camera's in a very harsh environment, MX (motocross) and none of them have ever let me down or ever malfunctioned. I use Sun Sniper straps ( much beefier than the more poplar Black Rapid models) and my cameras are constantly being banged around my body and the ground when kneeling and they all keep on truckin' The A77 also has a magnesium body, the Nikon 5000 series are plastic. If you go with a Sony just purchase a body only and I'll send you a new never mounted kit lens (18-55mm) for free, I have 2. When I purchased my A65 & A560 they were only available for purchase with that lens and I never even mounted them.

Thank you for that info ... Thats exactly what i needed to know...i want a camera that is durable & i can count on ...do you feel you can use different lenses ...another thing that i heard was sony was limited in lens...but that is what i was hoping to expand on was the use of different lenses ...i plan on purchasing within the next 2-3 weeks so what you said really made me second guess the nikon 5300 which was the one i was leaning towards ...thanks again

For my needs there are plenty of lens available in the Sony "A" mount. I do have 4 bodies so I tend to marry specific lens to 1 body and here is my rundown.
A77- Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di USD Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di USD Zoom Lens for Sony AFA009S-700

A65-
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Zoom Lens for Sony DSLRs 58C205

A560- Tamron
200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP AF Di LD Tamron 200-500mm f/5-6.3 SP AF Di LD (IF) Lens AF08M-700 B&H
This will be switched out for the new Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD when avalibile. Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony AFA011S-700 B&H

A200- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma Normal 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Sony 310205

This is the kit lens that I have 2 copies of and still more then willing to send you 1 for free.
Sony DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM II Lens SAL18552 B&H Photo Video

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5300-vs-Sony-A77

Here is a great site i used when i was purchasing my camera and needed to compare features apples to apples. I pulled up the comparison for the d5300 and the a77 for you but you can put any camera you want in. Needeless to say but after lots and lots of research i went with the a77 because nothing could beat it for the price and i have yet to regret my choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back