AARRRGH!!!!!

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Why do all my pics seem 'soft'? They are never crisp and clear, and it seems that no matter what I try (changing aperture, shutter, etc) my pics seem soft, and when I think I'm focusing on one thing, its generally something else that's in focus. I thought I set my 'diopter' (the dial above my eyecup) but maybe that's the problem?? This seems to happen on all of my lenses, not just my 50mm. Is it my camera? (pentax k100d) Any help, suggestions would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

There is a filter in front of the image sensor that purposely blurs the incoming image before it hits the image sensor (it's an anti-aliasing filter to reduce moire patterning). To bring back details you have to sharpen your image in a photo editor. Some DSLRs have a stronger anti-aliasing filter than others so the images straight-out-of-camera can look kinda soft.

I have the D90 and it's known to have soft output. Us non-pros like things sharper out of the box probably because we don't do so much with it. I had to up the sharpening level in the in-camera settings. One thing about that, it only affects the smart side of the dial. All of the auto settings (macro, portrait, anything with a picture is not changed). See if you have that ability in your camera. I understand your frustration. Just keep working down the list of things it could be, then go back to the store if you don't get it straightened out. Maybe - it's the camera.

There is a filter in front of the image sensor that purposely blurs the incoming image before it hits the image sensor (it's an anti-aliasing filter to reduce moire patterning). To bring back details you have to sharpen your image in a photo editor. Some DSLRs have a stronger anti-aliasing filter than others so the images straight-out-of-camera can look kinda soft.

Oh yay... for once someone else said this instead of me. :lol:

To OP: could you post a couple examples... most of the time people don't really notice this softness and so I'm curious to see the images you're reacting so strongly to. I wonder if it's something more than just the digital effect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back