About to buy a D300, I have some questions first.

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Like the title says. I'm about to purchase a D300 and wanted to hear from other D300 owners what quirks the camera has that I should be aware of.

Also does lightroom recognize d300 raw files? I heard that adobe raw didn't recognize the raws.

Or anything else you may have to say about the D300.

Dom

Also does lightroom recognize d300 raw files? I heard that adobe raw didn't recognize the raws.
You would just need to download the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW (version 4.3)

You would just need to download the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW (version 4.3)

I don't actually use camera raw. I do all my raw adjustments in Lightroom.

Do you know anything about the compatibility there?

Or would downloading camera raw be the same for lightroom?

The camera is fairly quirk free.

Since it is evolutionary (basically an already stellar design --D200-- with improvements) it is actually fairly strait forward.

Metering is correct, battery usage excellent, ISO performance fantastic, nothing really holding it back here...

I use Capture NX to convert what shots I do in RAW, so I can't answer the Adobe question other than I know the patches are out there already.

This was, obviously, not a D300 specific issue, it always takes a bit of time for software manufacturers to support brand new cameras...

The camera is fairly quirk free.

Since it is evolutionary (basically an already stellar design --D200-- with improvements) it is actually fairly strait forward.

Metering is correct, battery usage excellent, ISO performance fantastic, nothing really holding it back here...

I use Capture NX to convert what shots I do in RAW, so I can't answer the Adobe question other than I know the patches are out there already.

This was, obviously, not a D300 specific issue, it always takes a bit of time for software manufacturers to support brand new cameras...

This is pretty much what I wanted to hear. I've been on the lightroom forum and it seems there is no issues with raw compatibility. The only pain is that I have 10gigs. of SD cards and the camera takes CF.

Would you say the body is similar in build quality to the F100?

Also do you leave the D lighting function on all the time?

This is pretty much what I wanted to hear. I've been on the lightroom forum and it seems there is no issues with raw compatibility. The only pain is that I have 10gigs. of SD cards and the camera takes CF.

Would you say the body is similar in build quality to the F100?

Also do you leave the D lighting function on all the time?

Never shot an F100 so I couldn't tell you about that.

I leave the Active D Lighting on, yes... but please note if you shoot RAW and don't convert with Capture NX then D-Lighting is useless... in RAW it appends the D-Lighting info to the file so NX can read it. Adobe stuff doesn't.

I don't shoot RAW much, and when I do I use Capture NX.

Transitioning from the D80 to the D300 isn't too difficult as far as menus, button locations and such. There's just more of 'em.

The WOW factor (and reason to purchase for me) is the ISO capability.

I also like the extra heft in my hands.

6.5 fps is pretty sweet.

I have had mine since November and I still say Wow all the time, the ISO is fantastic and I have added the grip on so I can shoot at 8 FPS if you have the means to add the grip try it out I like mine

d300 NEF files open fine for me in lightroom

Just want to echo the support for the D300....it is an amazing camera, and my most satisfying aspect is the ISO....I shot on a street, nite, by streetlight, ISO 3200, and converted my RAW to black and white, printed to 11x14, and WOW.....amazing photos.....

The camera is solid, heavy and I love it....a bit quieter shutter would have been nice (my D50 is alot quieter in a studio environment)....

Great camera overall....

What size are your tiffs uncropped tiffs after editing in PS?

Also how large can you print at 300ppi?

you're all over the place. what's this about tiff? file size? ~45MB.

printing size depends print to print. i have 18x24's from a d70s, hah. i haven't printed anything larger than that yet, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back