Absolute beginner - Mamiya msx 500

Rubymartin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all.

I have bought a Mamiya msx 500. I found a manual on the internet. I am a bit anxious to start using it, as film cameres are totally new to me.

What film should I use and what ISO is the best for this camera? Do you have any advice for the Mamiya Msx 500? Any tricks or help?

I hope you can help me.
Thank you all in advance.

Hello all.

I have bought a Mamiya msx 500. I found a manual on the internet. I am a bit anxious to start using it, as film cameres are totally new to me.

What film should I use and what ISO is the best for this camera? Do you have any advice for the Mamiya Msx 500? Any tricks or help?

I hope you can help me.
Thank you all in advance.
You maybe beginner, your camera is not. Check for camera integrity. If it fires on all speeds, if it closes all aperture settings, if lens has no fungus inside, if there is no rust inside the camera (where you put the film), if light seals look ok. It would be good to have some unwanted film and check, if the film transport works properly. At the end it is important to see if light meter works properly, if the battery is there. (you in luck, battery needed is S-76 still available silver-oxide battery), if the battery chamber and terminals are not corroded. If everything is satisfactory load the film, set ISO to indicated on film packaging and good luck !

I found a manual on the internet.

Read the manual, then read the manual again, and again, and again all the while have the camera in your hands and learn all it's features.

Personally I love Fuji 400 speed color print film (C-41 process).

Digital is ISO ... film is ASA (or DIN). All ASA’s are okay to use in the camera. For film, you need to have an idea of your lighting situation of what you’re planning to shoot, prior to loading the film. If you plan to shoot in low light you should load a fast/high ASA film. In bright light you can get by with a lower ASA film.

Hmm, I think ASA and DIN were replaced by ISO long time ago. But in fact this camera is so old it is still calibrated in ASA and DIN. No problem. ISO and ASA are identical.

For film, it depends, what, where and when you are going to shoot.
I personally would get an ISO 100 speed film and practice during the day, not in deep shade.
I found that 400 speed film was very restricting for daytime shooting. Limiting me to only 2 exposure settings (f/16 at 1/500 sec or f/11 at 1/1000 sec). However, if you shoot in the shade/shadows, then the faster 400 speed film helps.

IOW, there is no "perfect" film.
Selecting the film speed involves matching the film to what, where and when you are shooting. There are trade-offs.

As @webestang64 said, STUDY the manual with the camera next to you, and follow along. Manuals are not always easy to understand, so doing what is in the manual is a good way to understand the manual.
Some of the important things to learn are:
  • How to install/replace the battery for the meter.
  • How to set the ISO speed.
  • How to set the aperture and shutter speed.
  • How to properly and safely remove and install the lens.
  • How to use the meter; turn it on, adjust the exposure, turn it off.
  • Shutter release button, and film advance lever.
  • How to load the film.
    • And whatever you do, do NOT touch the shutter curtain. It is easily damaged, and not easily repaired.
  • How to rewind the film back into the cartridge.
  • How to clean the lens. Invariably, you will get dust, fingerprints, etc. on the font of the lens. This is probably not in the camera manual.
Gud Luk

After reading manual:
For starters just get some color print film, ISO 100 to 400. Brand doesn't matter. Shoot one roll outdoors in daylight. Check results.

Good advice from all of the above posters. The MSX 500 was "almost" my first good camera, back in the day!

Most reactions

Back