Adobe: No more out-of-focus photos

pjune082

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Never Take an Out-of-Focus Picture Again: Adobe’s New Photo Technology

Saw this article and wanted to share it. Adobe has developed an application of plenoptic lenses. Basically, it's a system that would allow you to take photos that are in focus all through and then adjust the DOF afterwards and to any point in the picture.

Check out the article, far from commercial but certainly interesting.

Never Take an Out-of-Focus Picture Again: Adobe’s New Photo Technology

Saw this article and wanted to share it. Adobe has developed an application of plenoptic lenses. Basically, it's a system that would allow you to take photos that are in focus all through and then adjust the DOF afterwards and to any point in the picture.

Check out the article, far from commercial but certainly interesting.

I'm in class right now, cant view the youtube video. How good is it? You said its "far from commercial" so its more for people who don't know how to focus?

Now all the camera needs to do is compose the shot for you. :lol:

I don't think adobe is the only one working on this. I've heard about it before but haven't seen a live demo. It's interesting, and will surely result in even more pro photogs.

I think the theory behind it is very interesting. Will it make it to a consumer application my lifetime ? Maybe.

Will it mean a lot for scientific research and astronomy ? Probably :)

Dammit why do they get the credit. This was actually the result of a PhD thesis. Adobe then went out and employed said guru, but what makes this really amazing was that originally it was the result of almost a single man.

Dammit why do they get the credit. This was actually the result of a PhD thesis. Adobe then went out and employed said guru, but what makes this really amazing was that originally it was the result of almost a single man.
Isn't that the same thing they did with content-aware scaling? I remember seeing a third party demo of said technology LONG before it showed up in CS5.

Yep.

But then on the flip side I congratulate them. I know companies that will buy up talent and patents and never pass that through to their final products. Adobe at least is a company that buys ideas and does it's best to bring them to the masses.

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering why it wasn't on the market already.. then I realized that it's not like taking a picture via your point and shoot and applying a DoF to it.. So instead of being on a flat surface it measures everything and you edit it later? I haven't watched the video yet.. IMO it'd kind of ruin the fun of photography... Getting the right shot.. Soon you'll be able to fix every image no matter how poorly it's exposed or how out of focus it is, which is kind of sad.. I can't say I like this. kind of sucks actually..

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering why it wasn't on the market already.. then I realized that it's not like taking a picture via your point and shoot and applying a DoF to it.. So instead of being on a flat surface it measures everything and you edit it later? I haven't watched the video yet.. IMO it'd kind of ruin the fun of photography... Getting the right shot.. Soon you'll be able to fix every image no matter how poorly it's exposed or how out of focus it is, which is kind of sad.. I can't say I like this. kind of sucks actually..
I was kind of thinking the same thing lol...

you gotta admit though, that's pretty a crazy but very cool innovation.

certainly.. but I'd be discrediting any photog who uses it.. It's cheating IMO... It'll be the steroids of photography.. (With photoshop as HGH or something of course, heh, but everyone uses their editor so don't even start an argument with me about that one)

I discredit any photographer with an automatic shutter, or a lens which has a focus ring, or a light meter. As far as I'm concerned anything beyond knowing exactly what light you're shooting in, loading a plate into a giant box, and then holding down the shutter open with your fingers while looking at the watch is cheating.

But seriously though the ability to fix an out of focus shot does not make a good picture, nor do any of the other "features" of any camera since about the 1930s. The photographer is there to create a good looking photo, how he does it is none of my business.

Arrrgghhh... was it just me? The first 2 minutes and 26 seemed a waste of time and the last 10 seconds had the interesting bit. Very cool technology, but wow, I cannot imagine sitting through the whole presentation.

That really is fascinating, but I think its something that should never be available to the masses. Like Plasma guns and Heat lasers. This seems like something made because it can be made. I think its fascinating and I would love to have one, just to say that I have one. Would I expect any kind of respect or admiration from any other aspiring photographer because I had it? No..but Im sure there would be some because its 'the' advanced technology available. :er:

Mark

Most reactions

Back