Adorama: has stock in store but listed as out of stock on website?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know Adorama is reputable, I just want to know if this is the norm for them. I called them today (albeit just customer service) and asked if they had any stock of new D700s and they said no.

But today I sent someone to them to appraise my DX equipment and they were really pushing for me to sell it to them (a lot of the stuff I was selling is out of stock everywhere right now) and they said they they would give me 8% off a new D700, which they said was in stock. I'm not doubting them but is it normal for them to keep some stock in the store and not sell anymore online?

I'm definitely ready to buy a D700 and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a new one. A local store by me (pretty reputable, bought from them a few times) told me they could special order it for me if I went in person and paid. But if Adorama actually has new ones in stock then it's a no-brainer with the discount.

Of course, I'll try and speak to the guy that gave that offer tomorrow

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the store and the warehouse are in different places, so it would make sense for them to have different inventories.

A lot of stores (that also sell online) do that.

I just spoke to the person I had go to Adorama for me (couldn't go in person since I'm out of state in college right now) and they said that the salesperson didn't explicitly say they had new ones in stock, though on their website they have plenty of used ones. I'm not faulting Adorama obviously but I would like to know if they actually have new ones as opposed to used.

I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can't clarify that. And FWIW, the people at Adorama (both on the phone and in the store) were friendly as always.

I received a quote from them but it's just on a small piece of paper. The guy told the person I sent that he wrote down both the value of the item as the offer. From what I see, the value is the value of what they would sell it for since there's no way a new 85mm/1.4G is $1400 and a D7000 is $1050 now (at least according to their website). I could have sworn they told me on the phone that they offer around 70% of the retail price, but seeing from the numbers I guess maybe I misheard?

One last detail I forgot: would they tell me if my equipment had any faults with it or was not up to par with the condition I specified? I got a quote of $2700 over the phone for 3 items (D7000, 85mm/1.4G, Tokina 11-16 nikon mount) and was told obviously that as long as condition was what I said it was, I could get that price or possibly more.

Today, the person I sent brought those three items plus 3 more (10.5mm fisheye, 35mm/1.8G, MB-D11 battery pack + extra battery) and the total quote I got for all 6 was around $2500...I would think that if my stuff was in bad condition/not excellent condition they would've told me? As it turns out, I had another meeting lined up after that to sell my 85mm locally and got a much better deal so ended up just doing that.

Just wondering if there is any leeway with this?

Could be a possibility. I called BH looking for a new D7000 and they had some in stock in the store. Online was out, couldn't find it anywhere. BH shipped it to me within 2 days !

BHPHOTO FTW

Yeah I know the OP talked about Adorama but it's close enough, give them a call. That's what I did and found it so easily. Got a great associate and even held it for two days for me to call back and order. Such great customer assistance. Definitely has my future business.

I will call B&H tomorrow. It's just that I'm selling my stuff at Adorama since I got a better price and if it turns out they have the D700 new and will give me a discount, I'll take it. So happy I live close to both these places though

I will call B&H tomorrow. It's just that I'm selling my stuff at Adorama since I got a better price and if it turns out they have the D700 new and will give me a discount, I'll take it. So happy I live close to both these places though

Lucky! I have no Nikon Authorized Dealers within 80+ miles from me! just best buy, ritz camera, uhh sears? lmao no big name camera stores :(

412 Burgh said:
Lucky! I have no Nikon Authorized Dealers within 80+ miles from me! just best buy, ritz camera, uhh sears? lmao no big name camera stores :(

In all fairness Best Buy does have the item for around the same price. For example, I bought a Nikon 70-300mm vr lens for only 589. Instead of 586.00 on B&h (which is currently backordered). I don't normally go there but I saved on shipping, which I applied to a 3yr AHD warranty. I would not go to a store that sells tools and lingerie next to electronics lol.

I know Adorama is reputable, I just want to know if this is the norm for them. I called them today (albeit just customer service) and asked if they had any stock of new D700s and they said no.

When I first read that I was like "Nikon announced and released the D700s! How the hell did I not hear about this!" :lol:

I just spoke to the person I had go to Adorama for me (couldn't go in person since I'm out of state in college right now) and they said that the salesperson didn't explicitly say they had new ones in stock, though on their website they have plenty of used ones. I'm not faulting Adorama obviously but I would like to know if they actually have new ones as opposed to used.

I'll call them tomorrow to see if I can't clarify that. And FWIW, the people at Adorama (both on the phone and in the store) were friendly as always.

I received a quote from them but it's just on a small piece of paper. The guy told the person I sent that he wrote down both the value of the item as the offer. From what I see, the value is the value of what they would sell it for since there's no way a new 85mm/1.4G is $1400 and a D7000 is $1050 now (at least according to their website). I could have sworn they told me on the phone that they offer around 70% of the retail price, but seeing from the numbers I guess maybe I misheard?

The website inventory (held at the DC in NJ) is completely separate from the in-store inventory.
At the time of writing this, there are 3 NEW pieces in store.

The usual figure on buying used gear is 70% of expected resale, however I'm told that there can sometimes be a little more negotiated if trading up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back