advantages of a 5D over xti

But the dust here is combined with salt, and really sticks on everything it settles on.

sticky dust, yes, i know that one .. :( ... i got it in Mexico, but also in Germany from time to time ;)

sticky dust, yes, i know that one .. :( ... i got it in Mexico, but also in Germany from time to time ;)

when switching lenses i prefer to use the clean, clear, translucient dust..... most professionals use it...you getter better dust results every time...

im having a hard time convincing my wife to let me get a 5D. im just looking for some real world aspects of the 5D over the xti. i know that you get a full frame sensor, but would it be smart to wait and see if canon is going to replace the 5D with something newer, or just go ahead and upgrade now?

I usually take rumors with a grain of salt, but I've been absolutely assured by my local pro shop that the 5DII will be unvailed at the Olympics. They were right about the D700, so I trust the rumor.

The 5D and the XTi are quite a bit different. Your going to be buying a completely different set of lenses for the 5D than you would for the XTi. You have to keep in mind that most of the full frame lenses Canon produces right now are L's, and therefore are outrageously expensive in most cases. You can get non-L primes and probably be fine (the 85mm is sharp as hell), but if you want decent zooms, you'll have to pay.

Also, I've been shooting with the 5D for about 4 months now, and the noise performance is not nearly as good as the inflated ego-driven dribble strewn about the internet. It gets pretty bad anywhere above ISO 1250, and the colors get pretty crazy above like 800 unless your spot on with your WB and exposure. It's better than the Nikon CCD sensors I was used to, but don't expect a miracle machine like the D3.

well as you can imagine iraq is not the tightiest place on earth, i know all about the dust^^. i am really looking for an all around good camera body that will last me awhile. and i have seen what kind of images that the 5d can produce and i have been very impressed. right now for the xti i have the xti kit lens, 70-300 f4-5.6 is, and 100 f2.8 macro which i love. no L lenes yet but will have in the near future. thx for all the suggestions!

Also, I've been shooting with the 5D for about 4 months now, and the noise performance is not nearly as good as the inflated ego-driven dribble strewn about the internet.

I would be more careful when phrasing this ... the 5D is several years old by now. In terms of development on the digital sector this is a very long time. All that talk about good noise perfomance stems from the times the 5D was released and shortly thereafter. It is doing very well even compared to some cameras released these days. But it has been overtaken by some others .... and it would be very sad if this wasn't the case, because that would show there was no improvement in technology.

It gets pretty bad anywhere above ISO 1250, and the colors get pretty crazy above like 800

This is something people said about it right from the beginning, don't go above ISO 800. ;)

Most reactions

Back