Advice and input wanted.

tomhooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thomashooper.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's the deal. I am wanting to purchase another camera with Live View for my macro shots. I have to wear reading glasses and can't really see good sharp focus through the viewfinder. I started out thinking about a 5dII but I really don't need that much camera. Also I have seen some macro shots on a full frame sensor that had a fairly noticeable vignette. Not sure if that was because of the sensor, lens, photographer, or what. I have pretty much leaned away from the 5DII. So then I looked at the 40D and 50D. Again the 50D is nice, but not sure I really need video. So we are back to the 40D and I had pretty much decided that was it until I started looking at the XSi. It has about the same MP as the 40D, actually a couple more and Live View for several hundred dollars less. I presently have 2 XT's and an XTi. I don't use all the bells and whistles on any of them and won't on a new camera either.
I am asking those of you that own one or the other or both to give me some input on which would be right for me. I know you can't tell me 100% but give me some thoughts. Economics is not an issue but I also don't blow money on things I don't need. Besides, I want an MPE-65.
Thanks in advance.

I think if your going for Live View your likely to get all the bells and whistles. Not much you can do to avoid it. If you've got Canon's already would seem logical to go for a Canon body.

I think if your going for Live View your likely to get all the bells and whistles. Not much you can do to avoid it. If you've got Canon's already would seem logical to go for a Canon body.
+1

While I can appreciate your desire for Live View due to your vision (glasses) have you adjusted the diopter in the viewfinder? (This coming from a Nikon shooter and assuming you can adjust). There is also the option of an eyeglass cup that can be fitted for wearers that is supposed to help. My eyes are old and I can't read print on paper without extending my arms to their full extent.... squint a bit and read rather s-l-o-w-l-y. I have Live View on my camera, but just haven't gotten into the routine yet. The day will surely come. It's not so much vanity as it is forgetfulness. Truth be told..... it's all about forgetfulness, kinda like "crap.... forgot the damn glasses again"... sorta thing

The point being is that I would look into optical options before splurging on another body for ONE feature it offers. Your current body with a proper lens will yield great results. However, if you can't see, then you can't see. Think about your options with your current lineup though.

I have a Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro so the lens is ok. I have adjusted the diopter and can see ok through the viewfinder, just not great. I want to make it easier for me to focus. I am all about work smarter not harder.

a few things;
1) full frame for macro - I would still give this a better look at since it will give you more frame at a fixed magnification - something like the 5DM2 would be great also since its higher level ISO performance allows you to use a smaller aperture (since for full frame you lose about 1 stop of aperture depth of field when compared to crop sensor cameras). The vigetting might have been from a lens hood or some such - look for more examples

2) what about the canon angle finder? That might suit your needs better than a new camera - it offers image magnification as well as additional shooting angles - though its not for every shot.

3) I would look to upgrading your camera rather than sticking with the XT beginner level - I know many people that have moved to a 40D and noted great improvement in the camera and tis handeling over the XT series. A 50D or a 5Dm2 would be a fantastic upgrade for you

Most reactions

Back