Advice for beach shoot

mcmanus1000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all...I'm a newbie here, but was hoping I could get some advice from those who have more knowledge than me. I have recently taken up photography and happen to be going on holiday with a group of friends, including a few models. The girls know that I have taken up photography, so they are all keen to do some test shots with me on the beach. I was wondering if I could get some advice on what equipment could come in handy on a shoot like this. Currently, I have a Nikon D40x with a stock 18-55mm zoom lens. I'm also going to take my tripod. Perhaps there are some other lenses which could be useful or lighting equipment? Any other tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

a reflector and a circular polarizer would probably come in handy. On a bright sunny beach, a reflector would be used just like a studio light, to put light where you need it and eliminate (or even create) shadows.

As for the polarizer, this will allow you to darken the blue of the sky, which is good because when you expose for the beach you are going to get an overexposed sky.

There's another longer beach thread floating around either the beginner or the more advanced general topics.

thanks for the tips. i did a search for 'beach' before but didn't come up with much. will look again.

Most reactions

Back