advice for going backcountry and tripod

papatooth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
howdy

what do backcountry hikers do for carrying their camera's into the wild. i always had a digi point and shoot but i finally bought a canon digital slr. im just not sure how to approach a grab and go scenario, also what lightweight tripod could i get. i like to do generally a day or 2 out nothing more at the moment. :lmao:

I use a small [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Targus-TG-50TR-50-inch-Aluminum-Camcorders/dp/B000R4D9AC"]Targus 50" Tripod [/ame]I carried up from my Sony H9. It fits nicely inside my Backpack I have set-up for camera gear.

It's lightweight, can handle the D90 with my 70-300 VR lens on it. Folded up, it's about twice as long as the 70-300 is stored in its carry bag and about the same diameter.

I still plan on getting a nicer tripod, but for lugging around in the back woods and a general all-around carry piece, it does the job for me at the moment.

howdy

what do backcountry hikers do for carrying their camera's into the wild. i always had a digi point and shoot but i finally bought a canon digital slr. im just not sure how to approach a grab and go scenario, also what lightweight tripod could i get. i like to do generally a day or 2 out nothing more at the moment. :lmao:

Might want to consider a monopod instead of a tripod for backcountry stuff. I believe there's a couple brands out there that have models that double as a walking stick or something like that. I want to get one eventually, but I haven't found a big need for it yet. I usually use my cheap (meaning light) ballhead when weight is an issue. No need to bring my heave duty gear out there.

I use my hiking stick as a ghetto monopod -- I would never bring a real tripod, WAY too much weight, unless you're extremely serious about some nature photography. In which case, you probably have a huge lens and a good case system already. :)

For my own packing, all I bring is my camera and the lens on it (Nikon 18-200 -- convenience is king!) It's not small, but it's much smaller and lighter than taking any more equipment, and it does pack pretty well.

You can get a 1/4X20-1/4 screw at most hardware stores. Screw that into a nice 3/4 walking stick and it will fit your camera or a ball head to make a mono-pod.

If the stick is thick enough you can screw one in from the side for a vertical orientation and forgo the head. Just be mindful that it's there. ;)

I use a monopod depending on how heavy the brush is where Im going and, what I plan on shooting.

so for the 190CXPRO4 190 MAG FIBER TRIPOD 4 SCT manfrotto what kind of head do i need

so for the 190CXPRO4 190 MAG FIBER TRIPOD 4 SCT manfrotto what kind of head do i need

This is a preference thing. I prefer ballheads for the most part, but some people love pan heads. Research both, and decide which fits you best.

By the time I was an Eagle Scout I carried less equipment through the back woods than any other scout. If you just need a place to prop up a camera for a limited time or for night shots; why not build a tripod in the backwoods find three sturdy sticks and lash them together. Then the camera can be cradled inside the top. They are super easy to lash together and when you are done. Throw the sticks back into the woods and keep your rope for next time :)

pioneering_kitchen_001.jpg

I have carried large camera setups a long ways back. Video mostly but the principals are the same. Defitinity use a tripod over mono espiecially if you are going to do some LT exposures. Just look for a decent back pack. I usually make my own out of a Wookey backpack with High density foam/ and or coorugated plastic. That pack really holds a tripod (heavy ones even for video) but look into Dakine camera packs. Nice packs with waist belts (make sure most of the weight is placed on you hips, not your shoulders) They have many different sizes and such with ability to carry sticks!
Good luck!

I've been looking for a good tripod I can backpack with too. I don't want to spend $300 for carbon fiber. I think I found a good alternative, especially since I want to use it for macro more than anything else.

Slik Spirit Mini

It goes down to 6" and up to 43", comes with a cheap ballhead... and you can take it off and swap for a different ballhead later. It's got pretty good reviews, so hopefully I like it since I did 2-day shipping so I've got it for my trip ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back