Advice for Interval Time Shooting Camera

RecepEfe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Next year, I'm gonna visit lots of different libraries and archieves to collect books and documents for my Phd thesis. But as you guess, photocopy and buying these will be very expensive for me. Because of this, I want to take photos of the books and documents to digitalize them. As I understand from internet sources, I must have a camera which has 'Internal Time Shooting' to take photos quickly in timing. But I do not how to choose it. So, I need your advices.

My main purpose is not timelapse or other kind of artistic photography technics. I may take some photos to remain from my visitings for my collection, not more. I'm adding a youtube video to tell you what I want to make with camera that I will buy.

A note; please remember that I'm a student; cheapest is the best. :)

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon D5200 that has interval timing and I think all the Nikon D5XXX series does. I don't think the D3XXX series has it. You may be able to pick up a used D5200 with an 18-55mm lens at a reasonable price. Another option is to get a remote trigger and a camera you can use it with and just trigger the shutter as you flip pages. You can usually find one for less than $10 that will work with a variety of cameras. Just make sure it is compatible with what you have.

Vello IR Selfie Trigger for Select Nikon Cameras IR-SN B&H Photo

Hi,

Next year, I'm gonna visit lots of different libraries and archieves to collect books and documents for my Phd thesis. But as you guess, photocopy and buying these will be very expensive for me. Because of this, I want to take photos of the books and documents to digitalize them. As I understand from internet sources, I must have a camera which has 'Internal Time Shooting' to take photos quickly in timing. But I do not how to choose it. So, I need your advices.
My main purpose is not timelapse or other kind of artistic photography technics. I may take some photos to remain from my visitings for my collection, not more. I'm adding a youtube video to tell you what I want to make with camera that I will buy.

A note; please remember that I'm a student; cheapest is the best. :)
Thanks a lot.

[ME]

all Canon cameras have "interval timing" or intervalometer - in the camera or software ... but is it "time lapse" ?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

I wouldn't rely on an interval timing to take the shot. Doing so can really screw things up if you're not ready. Go with a simple wired remote for the camera and press the button on it when YOU are ready.

A very short book, so it went fast. The man turning pages was nearly late a few times. What if you accidentally turn more than one page in your hurry? Do you then go back, and then you will have two versions of the page that was photographed twice. Editing will remove that photograph, but editing will take time as well.

What will you do with the photographs? I presume they will not be shared.

Will you need to capture the full books or selected pages? If selected pages and you have a laptop the just get a hand scanner. You can quickly scan pages. I to would be to much to do full books though.

Even easier than that, look at an app on your phone. I've used Genius scan. I believe it's free and it automatically turns the photo into a PDF file. You can then take the file for each page or image and use something like PDFMerge (also free) to combine multiple pages into a single document. Plus, you'll already probably have your phone on you at the library. As much as I like to carry my camera, lugging it through the library while studying might not be entirely appealing.

This is one way to do that task I suppose. I play around a lot with stop motion animating so I've got a bit of experience here.

Your camera doesn't necessarily need interval time shooting... You can buy what is called an intervalometer which is just a fancy remote trigger that can do interval shooting among a few other abilities. I've always found an intervalometer to be more accurate and have more options than the typical in camera menu.

Of course the advantage of having it be a remote trigger is that if I'm having trouble keeping up with the pace I can set the remote on the floor and trigger it with my toe as I work with my hands.

As far as camera suggestions... If you are set on picking up a dslr then make sure it is one that can take a remote (most dslr will but most point and shoots can't)... And try to get a flip out tilting screen which will make it much easier to get your subject framed when you can't hold the camera to your eye. A Canon T3i is a good example.

PS. Don't forget about lighting. If you want good quality reproductions of the pages which will make your life easier then you want to make sure that the page is well lit without creating glares, the camera is very stable, the book is framed as fully as possible so you don't have to crop in our zoom as much, and that you get a good white balance.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

@dunfly

I'm gonna check Nikon cameras but as I see it's too much for me. In Turkey, it costs about 620 dollars. It took my scholarship for three months. Thanks for your advices.

@beagle100

I do not know that all Canons have this feature. I suppose I may find an used one. Thanks a lot.

@480sparky

I've no experience on this thing. You may be right. Probably a remote will be more useful for me.

@Designer

I agree. And about sharing, I'm a historian, so documents and books that I will take as digitalize are mostly written three or two centuries ago. I will take their photos because carrying them is very expensive in limited suitcase by airplane. And I will not share, for sure. :)

@BrentC

It depends on document or book. I've to be ready for worst.

@deeky

There are rooms in some libraries for taking photos or scanning. But my friends who is studying there said that librariens will allow. If they will not, I've no choice except mobile phone.

@bluewanders

Most probably, I will buy an used camera and a remote controller. In worst scenario, I am alone with my mobile phone. :) Thanks for your answer.

I wouldn't rely on an interval timing to take the shot. Doing so can really screw things up if you're not ready. Go with a simple wired remote for the camera and press the button on it when YOU are ready.

This is what I did hen doing some 200 year old ledgers, 500 shots in total. If the book moves at all during page turning the in having to dive into a menus if some thing goes wrong is really aggravating.

A new question which is waiting for your advices;

I found an used Canon Powershot SX220 HS for 60 $. As I saw, CHDK's supporting this camera's firmware.

So, what is your suggestions? What should I look and ask to saler before I buy?

A new question which is waiting for your advices;

I found an used Canon Powershot SX220 HS for 60 $. As I saw, CHDK's supporting this camera's firmware.

So, what is your suggestions? What should I look and ask to saler before I buy?

It may be better to post this question in another tread if no responses arrive

Most reactions

New Topics

Back