Advice for purchasing a used 40D/50D

cjd260

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know little or nothing about photography, but I'm looking to buy a camera for my fiancee, who's a photo BFA and who would like to be able to do some occasional professional work (weddings, etc.) along with more serious hobbywork (basically, art/portraits). She has a Canon SLR from college and wants to move to a Canon DSLR so she can keep her existing lenses. I'd love to buy her one, but I'm not sure I could swing a new 50D, and am thinking about buying a used 50D rather than a new 40D at the same price.

Questions: First, I guess my options are (roughly): (a) A used 50D for $900-$1000, probably off of Craigslist, (b) A new 40D (currently $800 at Adorama), or (c) A used 40D for, um, whatever I could get it for. Is the 50D worth the premium over the 40D - or more to the point, is it worth it to buy a used 50D rather than the new 40D? And if buying new, is it worth it to get the "kit" (holster, extra battery, etc.) vs. just the body? Also, I've noticed the market for used 40Ds seems to be tighter than used 50Ds, making option (c) almost not an option.

Second, if buying used, what should I (or she) look for? How many actuations before we should start getting worried and looking elsewhere? Anything else we should be aware of?

Many thanks for your help. I know this is sort of a pain in the rear end newbie question, but it's really, really appreciated.

--Chris

Welcome to TPF
Now on to the topic of buying a used camera body, bought my Nikon D70 from adorama about 4 months ago and could not have been happier with the condition of the D70 that i got. The camera was is great shape with about 30k actuations so i wasn't really worried, check the google on how to see how many actuations a camera has had.

As for Camera i can't be any help i have never held the 40D or the 50D but there are manys people that have here.

Heh, you probably wont find a 40/50d at a pawn shop but thats what I did. I found a canon XTi for $300 with the kit lens. I asked to mess around with it first and everything checked out. But I think you have to find one that doesnt know what they're doing :eek: They had the canon for $300 and a nikon d40 going for $350 :|

Most reactions

New Topics

Back