Advice on car pics

Zach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cleaned my Chevelle today and had to go out and get some pics. Let me know what you think and how I can improve, thanks.

I don't like the tree in the trunk area of this one.
DSCN1753-1.jpg

DSCN1757-1.jpg

DSCN1740-1.jpg

DSCN1754-1.jpg

A little blurry and some headlight glare
DSCN1756.jpg

The car looks awesome keep up the good work....

suggestions
1) better back drop
2) wait for better lighting (sunset)
3) maybe a tripod if you didnt use one

Thats some nice American Muscle you have there. I agree with a couple of the suggestions above. Better light and a tripod. However, I have a couple other suggestions.

1. You need to get up a bit higer for the shots. The Rally Stripes will really set off the car if they can be seen better.

2. Turn you wheels the other way. Show more tread to the camera and it helps "impart action". I dunno.. every time I shoot a car, I like that front tire out a bit towards the camera. It makes the viewer feel like they are right in the path of the car.

3. Turn off the flame thrower headlights. Maybe just the parking lights if you want something highlighted.

4. If you are wanting to get lower on the car then get all the way down. Make sure you will not get ran over and lie down on your belly. Take the shot from a few inches off the ground. While this works well on street rods I am not sure how it will work out with something with that high of a stance. (I just went back and looked and see that you did this with shot #1. )

Tim Sapp

Do them either later in the day or early morning and use a bit o flash to make them pop, they look a bit flat to me. H

It's hard to tell in your pictures... Does your car have a natural rake on it? (higher in the back than front?)

Tim

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it does have a natural rake, but nothing radical.

Want to do something that they won't see comming but they'll like? put a wireless flash inside the car and point it at the cieling on full blast, it makes the car glow from the inside. Aslo try some HDRs to stand out from all the other submissions. I suggest shooting from a tad bit higher, not so waist level. try getting to shoulder level, maybe a little lower.

More contrast and better lighting could be improved in my opinion, but overall I think these pictures are great. I love the angles, too. Nice work.

Take all the tips on the contest page, print them out and take them with you if you have to, you violated a lot of them and they say if you follow the rules they setup well, you have a chance to be a photographer for their magazine, now THAT's a prize. I'd even enter this if I didn't drive a Mazda.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going out tomorrow if weather permits. What are HDRs? What background do you think looks better, natural area (grassy fields) or more urban (solid brick walls?)

I would have to agree with the guy earlier... a sunset scene would make it look a lot more interesting. I did some color correcting, to give it an artificial sunset so you could see what it would kinda look like....

Image0-17.jpg

Most reactions

Back