Advice on First SLR Camera

The Sony looks like a good camera for a good price. I personally like Nikon's (and Canon) for a little more money. It seems to me there is a large support base for Nikon (and Canon) via friends and forum. Also, where I live, it is easy to get used Nikon (and Canon) lenses for a fraction of the cost of a new one. There are a lot of used Nikon (and Canon) lenses available.

would you guys say its a good buy?? or should I look at some thing different?

What are you future photography plans and goals? When you purchase a camera, you're also purchasing a system. Lenses, most times, are not interchangeable, so when you invest in a body you also have to think about the long term purchases that you are going to make. Does Sony have a line of lenses that you can grow with? Olympus (which I started with) has a reputation for superior glass, but they are missing a few ranges in their lineup. (or at least they used to)

Sony's are built with whats known as a 4/3 sensor (or Four Thirds). In the DSLR market, they are the smallest of sensors. They are still capable of producing spectacular photos, but the sensor size shouldn't go unnoticed. With a 4/3 sensor, as far as megapixels are concerned, I've heard it being described as taking all the people from the Titanic, and squeezing them into an inflatable raft. You also want to look at the selection of lenses that Sony offers, and what (if any) older model lenses are compatible, as this will extend your shooting abilities. Nikon, for example, has had the same lens mount for decades. This means that I can take a lens from 1982 and it will fit on my camera - albeit in manual mode only.

Sony's also have, I believe, a proprietary "xD" memory card. I could be wrong so someone correct me, but Sony, Olympus, and one other brand developed this a few years ago. This means that you are limited to your memory options. Another thing to consider.

Is the Sony that you mentioned a 'capable' camera, yes, if you learn how to work it properly. Is it a 'good buy', the only person that can answer that is you, because none of us know what your future plans and needs are. You'll have to research it, and make that decision on your own.

For that price, I'd choose instead something like an older Canon Rebel. Better performance (signal to noise, color depth, tonal range etc) and better quality kit lens.

Most reactions

Back