Advice on how to shoot the remainder of this film!

Sorry but if you want film tomorrow, you've got to buy it fresh today. Shooting expired film does nothing for the film cause.

Sorry but if you want film tomorrow, you've got to buy it fresh today. Shooting expired film does nothing for the film cause.
I shoot fresh black and white, but yes, If I want to keep shooting film I probably should invest in more color film as well

I've never tried that, and I'm not sure if I would want to to be honest. I'm already starting to get low on the color film, however do you know if you can develop Kodachrome as black and white? Ive got about 20 rolls of it sitting in my great grandfathers fridge.

As color? Doubtful. Even as black and white, the only thing I've seen that successfully removes the remjet is Caffenol. Ask @480sparky about it. I develop in Caffenol but haven't done a roll of Kodachrome yet.

One guy is working on it:

Who said anything about not buying fresh film? Working through a stock of expired film and buying fresh film are not mutually exclusive.

Who said anything about not buying fresh film? Working through a stock of expired film and buying fresh film are not mutually exclusive.

Seriously? That doesn't seem the case with the OP. Scrounging old film then kvetching about the results is absurd. It's perishable. That's why it's stale-dated.

Last edited:

Seriously? That doesn't seem the case with the OP. Scrounging old film then kvetching about the results is absurd. It's perishable. That's why it's stale-dated.

It doesn't seem to be the case? Did you miss this?

I shoot fresh black and white, but yes, If I want to keep shooting film I probably should invest in more color film as well

Again, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to waste a stock of film just because it's expired, and the OP said he does buy fresh film.

And he came here for advice, not to kvetch.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to be the case? Did you miss this?

Again, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to waste a stock of film just because it's expired, and the OP said he does buy fresh film.

And he came here for advice, not to kvetch.
Thank you @limr, I appreciate it, Someone once said to me and I quote "Things get made to get used. Film is made to be used. If isn't used, then it's reason for existing has been denied" I think that is a good quote, what's the point of just letting it sit there and go to waste??

Some of us like the uncertainty ;) Not all the time, but sometimes, it can just be fun to play around and experiment a little.
Plus when you have multiple rolls of multiple stocks that have all been stored the same way, shoot one, develop, and if the results are what you want, most likely the rest of the rolls of that stock at least, will be in similar condition! The uncertain becomes more certain that way.

I shot a bunch of expired film last year (about 20 years) and it was all underexposed. I agree with half the box speed and see what happens. Your only out some time and a little for processing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back