Advice on Lenses to Take on Travel

DeAd-EyE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ladies and Gents,

Will be traveling to Asia for about a month and am tryign to decide what lenses to take with me or if it's worth renting one.

Right now I own a Nikkor 35mm 1.8G and a 55-200mm 4-5.6G. Am shooting with a D3100.

I'm just wondering about trade-offs of things like versatility vs. quality vs. not being able to get some shots.

If you think about the kind of stuff that people normally take on vacations it's usually cityscapes, people infront of objects and monuments/art in fixed locations.

With that in mind i'm wondering whether its worth taking the 55-200 and instead either just taking the 35mm, or renting one of the following:

1) 17-55 2.4G
2) 24-70 2.4G

The possible benifits of renting might be having 1 lense that does it all, and with the 17-55, being able to get a wider angle on shots. 24-70 covers a pretty wide range but i'm leaning away from that simply because of how massive the lense is, it wouldn't be practical.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Cheers.

I would look for a sigma 10-20 or tonika 11-16 to really cover your wide angle shots... The 17-55 2.8 (not 2.4) is not all that wide on a DX body. It is a good walk around lens, but if you are worried about size and weight, its rather large and heavy. Take your 35mm as your main lens, 55-200 will give you some reach but I really dont see it being used much. More importantly than all that, have a decent travel tripod/head.

Personally I'd just use the 35mm. Simplicity + great versatility for a prime + lightness + often times limits you in a good way.

I take a 24-70 and 70-200, even when i'm on long distance or x-country motorcycle trips.

I take a 24-70 and 70-200, even when i'm on long distance or x-country motorcycle trips.

You also shoot FX.

p!nK

Wow, I didn't till a couple of days ago when i bought my latest camera. All my trips have been with DX
bigthumb.gif

Have decided to rent the 17-55mm and see what happens. Since the 35mm is the size of a hockey puck I might as well pack that too and try it out. It will be a learning experiance as well. Maybe next trip I might find I don't need anything but my 35mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back