Advice on photography classes for beginners

Hana Grace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I want to learn more about photography and how to utilize my new Cannon Rebel t6i camera as a hobby. I enrolled for a beginner digital photography class at a community college. My question for the veteran photographers is whether it is worth doing that kind of class for a full semester or if I am better off doing shorter month long workshops to learn how to use my camera and and acquire more techniques. All inputs will be greatly appreciated!!

I think it depends... What's the quality of these classes? Do you know the teachers or someone who attended those classes?
How do you learn the best? Do you need a guidance or you're more like "hey, let me experiment on my own!" type of person?

I'm afraid there's no definitive answer for a question like this. You might end up learning A TON, but you also can end up frustrated and wishing you never signed up in the first place...

Gosh...really good points. As a complete newbie, I feel like I need the guidance to get a better grasp about photography techniques and also how to really use my camera for its full potential. I do see what you mean though. I have been reading different tips and advice online about the camera itself and what the basics are (aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc). I just don't know anything about anything yet. lol... Thank you for your input!

Probably whatever works for your schedule. The semester long course might help you develop skills as you go along, giving assignments week to week; in a month you might only learn so much. That might be better than what you're learning online. I've seen info. online that I'd imagine people are going to have to go unlearn! lol There's a lot 'out there' that isn't reliable.

Everybody learns best in a different way. Some learn from talking, some from books, some from lecture. A course at the community college can be anything from great to yuck but it won't be expensive so give it a shot.
I'd go first to my local library and they would have a book, but that's because I learn best from a good book..

So many good points and great advice. Thank you all very much!!

Hard to know what's what with classes we've not taken with instructors we don't know. There's PLENTY to learn, so utilize whatever you think might be best, for you,and your situation. Books, web sites, blogs, on-line classes, on-line web sites,YouTube videos,YouTube channels, in-person classes, camera clubs, tutoring,lessons--any of this might be of help.

AS to the length of time, such as a semester, or a term, or trimester; some people learn at different rates, and perhaps studying for a longer time period would be helpful for you, and for others. At times, it take a while to build a base, and after that base has been built, only then does the more-significant learning happen. A day is too short a time period to, shal we say, "Study photography and learn it,".., but nine weeks or 12 weeks or 18 weeks might really be a more-realistic time frame to study and learn photography to a pretty good level.

The problem with many courses is: you buy a pig in a poke. First of all, I´d search online whether there are reviews about the specific lecturer or class. You may be lucky to find the one or the other who already booked the course and was happy. Unfortunately, people like to rather post negative reviews. Satisfied customers don´t publish their opinion as often as unsatisfied do.
Other than that just as the knowledgeable guys and girls before me said: everybody is different. Some learn better reading books, others with a personal lecturer. Whichever way: before starting the course, I´d get to know the basics and at least understand Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO. That will make it easier for you to follow the course later. I have created a free youtube photography course - it is not finished yet, but the basics are pretty much covered. If you like you could give it a try and see if that type of learning works for you.
Whatever type of course you choose, don´t forget to practice with your camera, enjoy photography and don´t let others overwhelm you with technical stuff. Taking good pictures is easier than people like to make you think and loving the process is a big part of creating great photographs.

Everybody has different learning ways and so they learn in their own way. Some need guidance, classes or some other lectures stuff. I used to learn from videos and book as it helps me learn at its best.

Dont forget about your manual.

Well going through the CC it is structured and there are quizzes and tests too keep you on your toes. It might go more to the technical side than you want. But that will help educate you on future buying choices. A lot depends on the instructor. You will probably have access to a print lab which will in itself be a good learning experience as well.

One way to get a heads up on the class. Is to find out what book they use. And then go look at the book!

The best way, for most of us, is to shoot, shoot again and at the end of the day when you think you're done for the day, shoot some more.

Shooting in a structured environment ... couldn't hurt.

Many years ago I took a class at our local Junior College. The best part of the class was the weekly assignments and feedback on our work. Each week we were taught a lesson about some topic, then given an assignment to go shoot photos incorporating that lesson. The following week's class started with a critique of some of the students' work. I learned a lot through that method, and made some friends to go out shooting with. For a beginner, that was more valuable to me than more focused classes I've taken more recently.

Hello guys, I'm a new comer. I really love photography and also start a new course just 3 days ago. My instructor told me that the quality of the camera is not the only key to a piece of art. And he advised me not to rely so much on photo editing software. ( Actually I often use Photo Studio pro to edit my photo as I have not got many skills yet, so my origin photo looks terrible, I just want to do something to improve my products so that I have more encourage to continue). Maybe I have to learn how to stay patient!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back