advice on tripod

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by scooter2044, Jun 3, 2015.

1. scooter2044

scooter2044 TPF Noob!

I'm looking to buy a tripod and found this one. Does anyone know if this is suitable for a beginner who wants to take BIF and landscape photos?

Vanguard Alta Pro 264AB 4-Section Aluminum Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head

2. ronlane

ronlane What's next?

I have a vanguard tripod and ball head. I love them but the one thing that I would verify is the weight that the sbh-100 head can hold and compare that to your camera gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wizard1500

Wizard1500 TPF Noob!

I have the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head. I really like it. I agree with Ron about verifying the weight of your camera gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ronlane

ronlane What's next?

Went back and looked at mine and I have the 263AP and bought a SBH-250 for it about a month later. The 250 will hold like 44 lbs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fjrabon

fjrabon TPF Noob!

I have the SBH 100 head on my carbon fiber vanguard. It'll easily hold my D7100 and 80-200 f/2.8 ED rock solidly.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

7. fjrabon

fjrabon TPF Noob!

8. JacaRanda

JacaRanda Hobbyist Birdographer

It will require lots of patience and practice trying to get birds in flight with any tripod.

9. JoeW

JoeW TPF Noob!

Okay, it's difficult to answer you. It's not b/c that's a bad tripod. It's that what's a good tripod depends on the shooter.

You said landscapes and birds in flight. Well, if you have to hike a distance to get there than you want a tripod that is light and will attach to a backpack easily. If you're doing long exposures then you want a tripod that is rock solid (and that either means carbon composite build or a heavy sucker). If you're going to be looking through your viewfinder a lot (waiting for a bird to take flight before you snap...meaning...timing is everything) than you want a tripod that telescopes to your height (that's an issue b/c often times for stability, I won't raise my center column on my manfrottos). And the point others have mentioned about weight--I suspect you either are or in the future will be shooting with a 400mm bazooka. You will want a tripod that can handle that weight and maybe allow provisions for spikes (in to the ground) OR sand-bags (to stabilize) so while your camera is on your tripod for 2 hours as you sit for the eaglets to do something interesting, a stiff wind doesn't catch your top heavy tripod and blow it over.

It is impossible to find a tripod that is great at everything. I have one that fits in to carry-on luggage (but I sacrifice stability and height). I have another that is rock-solid stable with a tillable center column (ideal for food, macro, and product photography). But I would never want to go hiking with it. I have a small gorillapod that attaches to my holster--great for street photography and moving around the city. I have clamps I can use indoors when some places ban tripods ("gee officer, it's not a tripod, I've just clamped my camera to my chair"). Be clear about what you want it to do best and then choose accordingly.

10. scooter2044

scooter2044 TPF Noob!

Sorry, I shouldn't have said BIF. I will stick to handheld for those. But the stationary ones, and the landscape I could use it for.

11. scooter2044

scooter2044 TPF Noob!

I like the price of your suggestion better, but I like the 360 degree rotation of the one I found so I did a little more research. From what I can tell, I think the only difference between the two is the 264 is taller (which I don't need). If that's the case, then I'll go with the cheaper one you recommended. Unless you know of any other differences. Thanks, you just saved me 40 bucks. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  12. scooter2044

scooter2044 TPF Noob!

I just have a Canon T3i with 2 kit lenses, so no worries on the weight. I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1