advice on tripod

Tilt heads are primarily for video. They're unnecessarily bulky and clunky for stills. A ball head, you just loosen, put it wherever you want and lock. Tilt heads involve multiple adjustments for any repositioning. They also typically have large handles that jut out and get caught on things when traipsing through the woods.

They're great for video because you can lock in 2 of the 3 adjustments and get smooth pans.
Thanks, I was worried about the handles sticking out. I would probably catch them and tip the whole thing over. lol

Tilt heads are primarily for video. They're unnecessarily bulky and clunky for stills. A ball head, you just loosen, put it wherever you want and lock. Tilt heads involve multiple adjustments for any repositioning. They also typically have large handles that jut out and get caught on things when traipsing through the woods.

They're great for video because you can lock in 2 of the 3 adjustments and get smooth pans.
Thanks, I was worried about the handles sticking out. I would probably catch them and tip the whole thing over. lol
Yeah, I like them in a studio/product shots, or when doing video, but otherwise I vastly prefer a ball head.

Vanguard gear is great...especially what you're looking at getting. I use an ABEO Pro with the pistol grip ballhead. Love it and wouldn't change much about it.

For me the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT is a bit to short at 52" without the center column extended.
I would get the Alta pro 263AB 100 for the extra 4 inches it has without the center column extended.

Note: 3 legs are more stable than 4 legs and at 26 mm the Alta Pro series legs are on the small, and will not be as stable as larger diameter legs.

Vanguard gear is great...especially what you're looking at getting. I use an ABEO Pro with the pistol grip ballhead. Love it and wouldn't change much about it.
For me the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT is a bit to short at 52" without the center column extended.
I would get the Alta pro 263AB 100 for the extra 4 inches it has without the center column extended.

Note: 3 legs are more stable than 4 legs and at 26 mm the Alta Pro series legs are on the small, and will not be as stable as larger diameter legs.
I have a few things to check on, but so far the 263AB 100 with the ballhead mount is the one I'm going to get. Thanks

263AB, for the price, is a good match of total maximum height, leg sections, extended height w/o column rise, max. weight capacity, collapsed height, and stock ball head.Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod Kit Amazon Camera Photo
I think this is the best fit for me too. I was just about to place my order. I'm gonna order from B&H photo though. I ordered from there last time and it's the same price as Amazon and free shipping as well. Thanks for all your help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back