What's new

Advice on which camera to buy

KreGg

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
90
Reaction score
19
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I always liked photography but never really got into it.
Now I will be joining a photography course in a few days and would like to get a new, good but not overly great (and expensive) camera.

My main priority is shooting outdoor portraits. But would like some good zoom also.
Like I said, just recently i got deeper into photography.

So from what I ve read so far, for portraiture you need some small depth of field, so you can blurry out the background and leave the subject in focus. I would like to take pics like this: All sizes | A Bridge Just Right | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I really thought about going for the Nikon P500, but I have read that the biggest aperture for it is f/3.5 at its widest lens (23mm - which is quite wide for portraits). So for shotting it, I would have to put on some zoom, but then the aperture goes down with zooming I guess... on their website, it says this camera's aperture ranges from 3.5 to 5.7.

So, will the Nikon P500 be good for my preferences? Or should I go for one with bigger apertures, like f1.8? Are those much more expensive? Can I achieve somewhat good results with a f/3.5 (or 5.7 aperture - if it goes up with the zooming), if I zoom in some?

Thanks.
 
You have to take into consideration:

Distance from camera to subject
Distance from subject to background

You can get the effect you want with f/3.5, just depends on the conditions stated above. I see you are looking for a point and shoot style camera, and not an SLR or 4/3rds system, any particular reason for this?
 
Not only big aperture can produce blur background, long focal length will do that as well. P500 will blur background if used properly. However, the sample picture you gave here is not so natural. I am afraid it was the result of PS. By the way, if you like to consider a DSLR, recommend a blog post: Know Digital SLR in 5 Minutes.
 
hmm, yeah that pic might have been a little photoshopped for sure. Though it was just to try and illustrate my thoughts a lil bit.

I am looking for something good, that can give me some options, like manual settings, that my current compact point and shoot kodak does not, but at the same time won't be totally difficult nor professional. Its just for a beginning, an introduction to photography, and taking everyday pictures just for fun and learning in the process.
 
Perhaps you could stop by Best Buy or something and try out one of the Canon Rebel DSLR's or Nikon's D3100. These are excellent beginner cameras and you can really do a lot with them, a lot more than you used to be able to do. An changeable lens and the ability to have off camera flash are 2 major reason's to consider an SLR over a point and shoot even if you just leave it in Auto all the time. There are many other benefits, but as you start to use and learn the camera, those other benefits will become more obvious. Good luck and have fun!
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks everybody.
I did some more research on the topic, and I am inclined on buying a DSLR with some inexpensive lens, like that 50mm, 1.8.
But from what I have heard, DiskoJoe, on this camera with that lens, I cant get autofocus.

I don't really know how big of a disadvantage and heckle that would be. Is there any other option of a similar lens or camera body, that would give me autofocus?
Thanks.
 
Nikon have released a 50mm with its own focus motor recently, its a little more expensive but not hugely. Also consider a canon 1100d, it is similar to the nikon just different system, all canon lenses designed for EOS autofocus. Their also seems great deals on pentax k-r which seems to out spec the others a little
 
That photo was taken with a tilt/shift lens it looks like, which costs over a grand for the lens alone.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom