Advice Please 24-70mm on D5100

mona525

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I own a D5100 and am slowly buying lens currently own a 50mm 1.8f. I understand since I have a DX body it will cropped but I am hoping to one day upgrade my lens not anytime soon but eventually. I would like to purchase a 24-70 2.8f lens looking at Sigma or Tamron. I've also considered the 28-75mm but I am thinking with my camera body it maybe to cropped. I plan on taking photos in natural light and portraits. Can you please give me your honest opinion on this lens on my camera body and if you would go for which brand and size. If you think maybe a different range is better as well. I really appreciate your help.

I used to own the D5100 and from time to time I used my Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G on it.
Its a good combination, the D5100 is a good little camera and it works perfectly with htis FX lens.
I highly recommend you to get a 24-70mm lens especially if you plan on moving in the future to FX body.

Thank you. I personally can not afford the Nikon 24-70 would you suggest Sigma or Tamron? I've been looking at both.

Thank you. I personally can not afford the Nikon 24-70 would you suggest Sigma or Tamron? I've been looking at both.
Sorry I didnt meant specifically the Nikon version, I meant this focal range in general.
The Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC is an excellent lens and highly recommended!!!
BTW if you are considering older lenses like the 28-75mm be sure that it will auto focus on your camera, older lenses might not have the in body AF motor which will mean you will be forced to work manual focus on them.
The modern Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC has the in body motor in it and as I said is a recommended lens.

Personally I'd look at the 17-50 f2.8 OS. It should be a more useful vfical length on a d5100. A 24-70 leaves you very narrow at the wide side if you're using a standard lens.

The lens I suggest is not really suitable if you go fx, but they can be bought at good prices, and if you sold in a year or two, Ya probably wouldn't lose much off what you pay now if you pick up a good second hand unit

Great lens, but it may be better suited for a larger body and FX.. more like a D610 at least...

Personally I'd look at the 17-50 f2.8 OS. It should be a more useful vfical length on a d5100. A 24-70 leaves you very narrow at the wide side if you're using a standard lens.

The lens I suggest is not really suitable if you go fx, but they can be bought at good prices, and if you sold in a year or two, Ya probably wouldn't lose much off what you pay now if you pick up a good second hand unit
Great lens, but it may be better suited for a larger body and FX.. more like a D610 at least...

Would lens would you suggest?

Would lens would you suggest?

The Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 would be smaller/lighter.
But if you plan on going FX or moving into a larger body in time, like a D500, etc... 24-70 would rock!!!

I was looking at the 28-75 actually but I figured if the 24-70 wouldn't work why would the 28-75? What I read is with a DX frame a FX lens to account 1.5x for Nikon so it would be around 36x105mm (24-70) and 42x112mm (28-75)

I've watched many reviews on that lens and I heard that I might have to go through a few copies until I find the correct one.

The Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 would be smaller/lighter.
But if you plan on going FX or moving into a larger body in time, like a D500, etc... 24-70 would rock!!![/QUOTE]

I love my 24-70 big time. It's a keeper. Now's a great time to get one since Nikon has the new VR version.
Many are selling the former 24-70's. That's how I got mine.

I love my 24-70 big time. It's a keeper. Now's a great time to get one since Nikon has the new VR version.
Many are selling the former 24-70's. That's how I got mine.
I am not so sure about people selling their older version, the new 24-70mm 2.8G VR is not receiving a lot of love out there, aparently its not as sharp as the older version, it bigger, heavier and using a bigger cap so you can use same 77mm filters on it both on the 24-70mm and 70-200mm and to top it all its more expensive.
So I think their isnt going to be a big price drop any time soon on the older lens

I'm just glad that I got mine that way. I don't need VR on a 2.8 that's on the wider side. No worries.

Tammy. X 10.

using tapatalk.

Most reactions

Back