Advice?

Kmiller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am switching to Canon so I can coincide with the Photographer I am interning with. She shoots with a 5d MarkII and wants to be able to switch lenses with me. I have a Nikon D60 that I am looking to sell. I had an offer of a trade for a Canon 30D Body. He wants my D60 with the kit 18-55 lens. Is this a good trade? I will be shooting weddings with the Photographer this summer and need something that is decent. I will be buying a 50mm 1.8 of course for the Canon first.

They are about equal, the 30D was released about 6 months before your D60.
I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't buy a 30D at all at this point. Then again, if I were shooting Nikon I wouldn't buy a D60 either. They just aren't worth anything and they're incredibly limited compared to cameras even just a model or two newer.
It will let you switch out lenses with the photographer you are working with, so I'd guess it's a decent deal for you.

While the D60 is an entry-level Nikon, the 30D is a prosumer Canon.

The D60 has 3 AF points, the 30D has 9 AF points.

The D60 is a compact design, the 30D is not and is quite a bit bigger than the D60.

Well cared for used D60's with the 18-55 mm kit lens are selling for about $400. Used Canon 30D's are selling for about $300 for just the body. Since the 30D is a prosumer camera most used ones will be sold without a lens. I would say the D60 and 18-55 mm lens is worth the 30D plus $100 cash. However, at issue is the condition of both cameras. The shutter actuation count of the D60 can be read from the EXIF data it includes with every JPEG it makes. The 30D shutter actuation count is not as readily available, but the 30d has a more robust shutter mechanism.

Switching from Nikon to Canon will entail some culture shock.

Who lets a noob like you be their intern? Seriously? This is information that you could have easily found out from ebay and not needed to consult pros and enthusiasts about. Learn to use google and how to research a subject.

Who lets a noob like you be their intern? Seriously? This is information that you could have easily found out from ebay and not needed to consult pros and enthusiasts about. Learn to use google and how to research a subject.

Really? Could you have been any more rude? She is a great friend of mine and she knows that I share the love for photography. I am interning with her so she can teach me all that she knows and eventually I will be her partner. Who the hell cares? I came on here to get people's first hand insight. Google is so impersonal. I think you have just soured my taste for this forum. And for the record, she already has a 50mm 1.8. WOW, some people these days!!!

Interns sharing gear with the pro overseeing them is very common and a sound move so that you can get access to her gear. Plus an interns position isn't one a pure teaching for the hirer, so it makes even more sense that they either use company or the same brand gear as the pro - that way they can easily work together.

She will be over the moon being able to use your 50F1.8 :lol:

but but the underlind part in my line above is surly the common approach ;)

Interns sharing gear with the pro overseeing them is very common and a sound move so that you can get access to her gear. Plus an interns position isn't one a pure teaching for the hirer, so it makes even more sense that they either use company or the same brand gear as the pro - that way they can easily work together.

She will be over the moon being able to use your 50F1.8 :lol:

but but the underlind part in my line above is surly the common approach ;)

There is no way i would let anyone use my gear, especially my new Mamiya C330, my 300F2.8L anyone can borrow that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back