Advices on Street photography attempts

Hello, first thanks all for your answers.
And don't worry for the technical confusing stuff.

So first for my ISO confusion:
More or less everything I read recently about photography was on techradar (i'm not sure i'm allowed to put the link here). I like pictures a bit of under-expose, and they say:
"Try changing the ISO setting on the camera. Increasing it will make the sensor more sensitive to light, while choosing a lower setting decreases the sensor's sensitivity."
So here it is for my flipidy flop ISO mind stuff.

Also, I wasn't in Auto-mode, but in P-mode. And as I already played with the settings of that mode, I don't get why it didn't change anything. But nvm, that's more a "know-your-camera" problem, it will come with time.

I didn't post any changes on the colours or everything, I more wanted advices on my focus/exposure/technical flippy dwop floppy di flop, than on my modifications :)

This morning I followed what benhasajeep told me, I tried tha A and S mode and in RAW.
As I'm in school during the week I couldn't really shot, only had a small try with my window view. And I found it already much better.

Snowgart2 by Adele Dunant, sur Flickr
(Yes I modified it a bit)

Tomorrow I'll have more time, I'll learn a bit about that triangle stuff, properly read again your comments, try it again, and we will see.
But I promess, this time I'll only post if it's interesting.

Thanks again for your advices. I'm glad they are not all mesquin.

"Try changing the ISO setting on the camera. Increasing it will make the sensor more sensitive to light, while choosing a lower setting decreases the sensor's sensitivity."
Whoever wrote that is wrong. The sensor cannot possibly have different sensitivities at various times. Nothing whatsoever changes in the sensor from the day it is manufactured until it is scrapped.

The reason the processed images LOOK different with different ISO settings is because you're actually looking at the JPEG that your camera has created, and the ISO setting is applied gain applied to the data that you captured during the exposure. When people look at the resultant JPEG image, they assume that the ISO setting has had some effect on the exposure, because well, it sure looks different.

You can continue to think of the ISO setting as "one leg of the exposure triangle" if you want to, and it may help you to get better results, but eventually all that falls by the wayside when you begin to understand what is actually happening inside your camera.

To reiterate what I wrote yesterday, just put your camera in "auto" and enjoy taking photographs. You can either study and learn the facts, which will take some studying, or you can simply enjoy photography for what it will do for you. There is so much more to photography than the technical part. Some of the very best photographs are somewhat technically flawed, but the composition or other qualities completely overshadow minor flaws. Be good at the art and you can learn the settings later.

Yes, eventually you will begin to use other modes, including aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual, but by forcing yourself to jump into full manual before you are ready, you will be living in frustration and confusion.

Whoever wrote that is wrong. The sensor cannot possibly have different sensitivities at various times. Nothing whatsoever changes in the sensor from the day it is manufactured until it is scrapped.

The reason the processed images LOOK different with different ISO settings is because you're actually looking at the JPEG that your camera has created, and the ISO setting is applied gain applied to the data that you captured during the exposure. When people look at the resultant JPEG image, they assume that the ISO setting has had some effect on the exposure, because well, it sure looks different.

You can continue to think of the ISO setting as "one leg of the exposure triangle" if you want to, and it may help you to get better results, but eventually all that falls by the wayside when you begin to understand what is actually happening inside your camera.

To reiterate what I wrote yesterday, just put your camera in "auto" and enjoy taking photographs. You can either study and learn the facts, which will take some studying, or you can simply enjoy photography for what it will do for you. There is so much more to photography than the technical part. Some of the very best photographs are somewhat technically flawed, but the composition or other qualities completely overshadow minor flaws. Be good at the art and you can learn the settings later.

Yes, eventually you will begin to use other modes, including aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual, but by forcing yourself to jump into full manual before you are ready, you will be living in frustration and confusion.
I broke ISO down for you in simple terms, how it relates to actual shooting. That article is wrong, forget what you read. Program Auto still makes a lot of choices for you.

This is exactly why I shoot at Iso 100 and nothing else.

:rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back