Advise needed on lens

Nightfly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could advise me as to what sort of lens I should get. I currently have a Canon EOS 300D, which I have been using to photograph houses. It takes good pictures outside but I find that the pictures inside make the rooms look small and I cannot get the whole room in. Is there a wider angle lens that would do the trick or do I need a new camera?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards

James

wide angle will do the trick. with the smaller 300D sensor I would for example go for a sigma ultrawide zoom 10-20mm so you can get really wide.

^^^ you only have to look through a 10-20mm lens once to realize its potential at stuff like indoor photography. I also recomend you buy a flash with a head that you can point up and bouce off the cieling becuase if you use the one on the camera not only will it cast a shadow off the lens that will be in the picture, but its not wide enough to cover the whol image with light.

It might help to know what lens you are currently using.

Many thanks for the advice. That gives me some new things to try. I am currently using a Canon (EFS?)18-55mm. I like the flash idea as a lot of my pictures were very dark even with the flash and I have been using photoshop to fix them. Are there any flashes that you would recommend that would produce that effect?

James

For your canon, look into the 580EX or 430EX flashes. If you are considering used, the 550EX and 420EX flashes. These dedicated flashes are a very good start. For maximum control, look into a set of flashes and pocket wizards.

Well if you are doing interior shots you might want to consider going off-camera. For things like this there are lots of corners and spaces that you can never properly get with an on-camera flash.

I think that you guys are pointing out some great ideas but for that standpoint he is at now i think he just needs 430ex and then also look into a wide-angle lens.

Do you have a budget or price range?

That is a good point. I hadn't really considered my budget. The cheaper the better but I would say £300-600 for the lens and flash together. I could stretch it if it would drastically improve the quality.

Most reactions

Back