Affinity Photo

I am probably selling my potential short by avoiding editing but I hate it that much.

There is no right or wrong on digital, because whether you let the camera's internal processor give you it's interpretation of the data, or further edit using an image software, somewhere the digital data was manipulated. For me I'm always looking for what the camera "didn't" see, that's still hidden in that data file waiting to be exploited.

I am probably selling my potential short by avoiding editing but I hate it that much.

There is no right or wrong on digital, because whether you let the camera's internal processor give you it's interpretation of the data, or further edit using an image software, somewhere the digital data was manipulated. For me I'm always looking for what the camera "didn't" see, that's still hidden in that data file waiting to be exploited.
Fair enough. I still loathe it enough not to be overly concerned.

Fair enough. I still loathe it enough not to be overly concerned.

Maybe that's why I like you ----- One hard head recognizing another :bouncingsmileys:

Back on topic @Fujidave please keep us updated as you progress in the learning process with Affinity. I use Adobe, because I never found a suitable alternative, but there is no love there, and would gladly dump their monthly strangle hold.

Back on topic @Fujidave please keep us updated as you progress in the learning process with Affinity. I use Adobe, because I never found a suitable alternative, but there is no love there, and would gladly dump their monthly strangle hold.

Just been uninstalling my LR6 and PSE15. Yes I will let you know, because all my photos that I will post will now be edited in Capture one and Affinity.

Just been uninstalling my LR6 and PSE15. Yes I will let you know, because all my photos that I will post will now be edited in Capture one and Affinity.

I'm assuming Affinity will open a PSD file, but will it read the edits you made to the Raw files in LR?

Affinity Photo's raw processing is forced destructive. It's a great RGB image editor at a fabulous price and I recommend it as such, but everyone should understand that if used to edit raw files it will discard all your work and force you to do that work over if you want to make a future change -- that totally sucks.

So how does Affinity stack up against PaintShop Pro 2018 | Get Your Free Trial ??? I started off with this, and found it very comparable to PS, and would probably still be with it except for the instability problem with the version I was on. It was very bad about crashing in the middle of a project.

Sorry I disappeared for a day. PaintShop and Affinity Photo have much in common primarily as they both focus on and force use of their pixel level editor. Before Affinity Photo PaintShop was probably the best Photoshop clone available. Affinity Photo I believe has bumped PaintShop when it comes to the core editor. Big BUT however in that PaintShop is offered as a complete package solution. From the perspective of the hobbyist it's possible to purchase PaintShop and have everything you need. PaintShop integrates a file organizer which Affinity sorely lacks. PaintShop will open raw files and convert them but it's raw processing tools are rudimentary and so force you to the pixel level editor. At least PaintShop saves any work you do processing the raw file. There's a paradox here in that Affinity Photo offers a much more capable raw processing toolset and then discards any work you do with those tools.

POINT OF COMMONALITY: They are both pixel level editors and if you're going to use them then that's how you're going to work with your photos. Historically photo editing has required pixel level editors and so we're used to that working model and tend to accept it without question. A modern parametric editor is going to be the better option for the most part.

Joe

I'm assuming Affinity will open a PSD file, but will it read the edits you made to the Raw files in LR?

Nope. If you open a raw file in Affinity that was previously edited in LR Affinity will not read the LR edits. But then this is par for the course with most parametric editors. Some offer conversion utilities to transfer between apps but with mixed success. That's one of the liabilities of marrying a parametric editor -- divorce can be very very painful.

Joe

The PITA of buying C1 has at last been done, have set it so I start in C1 then finish in AP. So I can see how I get along, I am going to open a post up in Just for Fun then I can see and learn from my mistakes.

The PITA of buying C1 has at last been done, have set it so I start in C1 then finish in AP. So I can see how I get along, I am going to open a post up in Just for Fun then I can see and learn from my mistakes.

How about start in C1 and finish in C1. Why complicate things?

Joe

Joe

Or I could do some edits in C1 and some in AP, then I have the best of both worlds. Or even better use it like I did for Adobe, start in one and finish in the other, that`s why I got both.

Joe

Or I could do some edits in C1 and some in AP, then I have the best of both worlds. Or even better use it like I did for Adobe, start in one and finish in the other, that`s why I got both.

Or you could do all your editing in C1 and have the best of all worlds. Switching between C1 and Affinity Photo complicates your editing and creates a destructive editing step as you move between the two apps. Once you do that you can't go back and you set yourself up for future re-dos. There are times when you'll need Affinity since C1 will lack the capability, but those times should be few and far between.

Joe

Joe

Or you could do all your editing in C1 and have the best of all worlds. Switching between C1 and Affinity Photo complicates your editing and creates a destructive editing step as you move between the two apps. Once you do that you can't go back and you set yourself up for future re-dos. There are times when you'll need Affinity since C1 will lack the capability, but those times should be few and far between.

Joe

Thanks Joe, for me and only me I dumped Adobe and bought both the editing software to work as one. I have seen some fantastic edited photos using both and plus I wanted the change so for me I am very happy I got them both and will now learn from using them and reading the AP workbook on how and what I can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back