Affinity Photo

One last question, then I am set up. Thanks to you Joe I now have it all set to save in Jpeg and 1200 on the longest side, but how do I get the MB size down as it says image to large ?

In C1 when you switch the output format to JPEG a slider appears just below labeled Quality. Reduce the quality until the final file size meets your requirement.

Joe

I am really mucking it up at the moment, is there any chance you can show in a photo as I can`t get it at all.

Fingers crossed

DSCF8853.jpg

OH YES I got it now :bouncingsmileys:

I use AF and have been pretty happy with it. I'm interested though in the post that it is destructive of RAW files. I upload RAW files (am doing so as I type this), convert to jpeg, edit, save as jpeg yet still have my RAW file (in addition to my jpeg). What are you doing that alters the RAW file? I just export my edits (and specify the format--in this case jpeg and quality level).

Affinity does not alter raw files -- no raw processing program re-writes a raw file -- not really possible. I'm using the term destructive in the context of editing/processing. Image editing is destructive if it forces your edit decisions and does not allow you to go back and make a change. Affinity does this. When you process a raw file using Affinity and you click Develop, Affinity saves your output RGB files but does not save any of your raw processing work to that point -- that's destructive editing. If you later decide for example that you'd like to see the image with a change in WB you can't go back and do just that. You'd have to start from scratch and redo all of your raw processing work. That's destructive editing -- forcing you to redo your work.

Joe

I find your use of the word destructive to be very misleading in this context. What you’re saying is not correct in my opinion. You can still go into the develop module And make changes to the image such as wb later on in the process. I do it all the time in the affinity photo app.

I find your use of the word destructive to be very misleading in this context. What you’re saying is not correct in my opinion. You can still go into the develop module And make changes to the image such as wb later on in the process. I do it all the time in the affinity photo app.

Sorry about that; I understand how that term can seem harsh and potentially misleading but in this context it is the industry standard term. I use it here because it is our term that applies in this context. For example: Affinity Photo Destructive RAW developing- deal breaker?: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review and again: Since RAW processing in Develop is destructive...

You can edit an RGB photo over and over but what I've described in this case is correct. If you return to the Develop module in Affinity Photo with an aphoto file or JPEG you can use those tools but using them on an already converted RGB image is not the same as using them on a raw file. There are substantial differences that matter. White Balance is the perfect case in point. Open a raw file in Affinity Photo and under the Basic tab access White Balance. You have a Temperature and Tint slider as would be typical in a raw converter. A value in degrees K shows in the Temperature edit field. Change the Temperature value with the slider and the degrees K value will change. Make adjustments as you see fit in the Develop Persona and develop the file so that it moves to the Photo Persona. Save it as an aphoto file and reopen it. Go back into the Develop Persona and access White Balance and change the previous value you set by 250 degrees K. You can't. You can change the color of the photo using those sliders but you're not setting WB any longer. That was already done and it can't be undone and when you clicked on Develop Affinity discarded any work you had done to that point -- you can't reload that work and that's destructive editing.

Try this test: Here's a link to a Fuji RAF file: DSF1075.RAF. Download the file and open it in Affinity. Do nothing except click Develop and then save the aphoto file. You now have two versions of the image, the original raw file and the converted aphoto file. Open the raw file again and this time use the WB tool in the Develop Persona -- the silver Toyota is a good target, click on the front bumper to set WB and then Develop and save as another aphoto file -- name this one reference.aphoto. Reload the first aphoto file (it's very green) and move it into the Develop Persona and use the tools to adjust it's WB to match the reference.aphoto file -- impossible. Affinity Photo's raw processing is forced destructive. It's a great RGB image editor at a fabulous price and I recommend it as such, but everyone should understand that if used to edit raw files it will discard all your work and force you to do that work over if you want to make a future change -- that totally sucks.

Joe

Sorry about that; I understand how that term can seem harsh and potentially misleading but in this context it is the industry standard term. I use it here because it is our term that applies in this context. For example: Affinity Photo Destructive RAW developing- deal breaker?: Retouching Forum: Digital Photography Review and again: Since RAW processing in Develop is destructive...

You can edit an RGB photo over and over but what I've described in this case is correct. If you return to the Develop module in Affinity Photo with an aphoto file or JPEG you can use those tools but using them on an already converted RGB image is not the same as using them on a raw file. There are substantial differences that matter. White Balance is the perfect case in point. Open a raw file in Affinity Photo and under the Basic tab access White Balance. You have a Temperature and Tint slider as would be typical in a raw converter. A value in degrees K shows in the Temperature edit field. Change the Temperature value with the slider and the degrees K value will change. Make adjustments as you see fit in the Develop Persona and develop the file so that it moves to the Photo Persona. Save it as an aphoto file and reopen it. Go back into the Develop Persona and access White Balance and change the previous value you set by 250 degrees K. You can't. You can change the color of the photo using those sliders but you're not setting WB any longer. That was already done and it can't be undone and when you clicked on Develop Affinity discarded any work you had done to that point -- you can't reload that work and that's destructive editing.

Try this test: Here's a link to a Fuji RAF file: DSF1075.RAF. Download the file and open it in Affinity. Do nothing except click Develop and then save the aphoto file. You now have two versions of the image, the original raw file and the converted aphoto file. Open the raw file again and this time use the WB tool in the Develop Persona -- the silver Toyota is a good target, click on the front bumper to set WB and then Develop and save as another aphoto file -- name this one reference.aphoto. Reload the first aphoto file (it's very green) and move it into the Develop Persona and use the tools to adjust it's WB to match the reference.aphoto file -- impossible. Affinity Photo's raw processing is forced destructive. It's a great RGB image editor at a fabulous price and I recommend it as such, but everyone should understand that if used to edit raw files it will discard all your work and force you to do that work over if you want to make a future change -- that totally sucks.

Joe

Thanks for that Joe, what I will have to do then is, get it right in the camera first so I have the Jpegs, then I can have fun with editing the Raw so I get the best of both as they say.

Affinity Photo's raw processing is forced destructive. It's a great RGB image editor at a fabulous price and I recommend it as such, but everyone should understand that if used to edit raw files it will discard all your work and force you to do that work over if you want to make a future change -- that totally sucks.

So how does Affinity stack up against PaintShop Pro 2018 | Get Your Free Trial ??? I started off with this, and found it very comparable to PS, and would probably still be with it except for the instability problem with the version I was on. It was very bad about crashing in the middle of a project.

I have still got LR6 Standalone and PSE15, but for me when I came over to Fuji I thought I`d have a total new editing lot, can`t wait till I get the AP Workbook plus I like how C1 and AP work together so I will be one happy bunny.

Affinity Photo's raw processing is forced destructive. It's a great RGB image editor at a fabulous price and I recommend it as such, but everyone should understand that if used to edit raw files it will discard all your work and force you to do that work over if you want to make a future change -- that totally sucks.

So how does Affinity stack up against PaintShop Pro 2018 | Get Your Free Trial ??? I started off with this, and found it very comparable to PS, and would probably still be with it except for the instability problem with the version I was on. It was very bad about crashing in the middle of a project.
I can't compare it to PaintShop Pro b/c I haven't used that program. I'm pretty impressed with AP. It doesn't crash in the middle of a project. My biggest issue is that I find it takes longer to convert RAW files to jpeg than I would expect. Otherwise, very impressed.

I can't compare it to PaintShop Pro b/c I haven't used that program.

My last use was X8, and compared to PS found it very close. I actually still go back and use it to do HDR as I believe it's superior to Adobe. Unfortunately it doesn't have following and their aren't as many videos out there on using it.

This is just from AP only, I will dazzle members with my fantastic photography and useless editing...lol

DSCF8834.jpg

Just managed to catch the postman, as came back from our walk and he had my Affinity Photo Workbook :)

I just use Silky pix free from Fujifilm. Then maybe some minor adjustments in GIMP. I use Gimp mainly to scale images down to post on here. I don't know, I guess I hate editing so much that I keep it real simple and try to get it best I can in camera so that the Silky pix software does what minor adjustments I need to make. Most of the time (mainly), I just look at the histogram in camera (when I get the time) and convert them to JPEGs and I'm done.

I will do an event and shoot raw + jpeg and chimp the jpegs to make sure everything is sharp but that is very infrequent. I then bring them (raw) into Silky pix for minor adjustment and develop the jpeg.

Mostly shoot just raw, convert in camera, done. Then I download the jpegs to a folder. I edit very, very little.

The only time I double check images is at an event or specific shoot, which is not very often. I am probably selling my potential short by avoiding editing but I hate it that much.

Most reactions

Back