Affordable backup for D300

get the D200, i myself own one, great cam, great semi-pro body and feel...

How about a D5000. $429 (refurbished) at Cameata Camera. Check ken Rockwell's review. It's his #1 pick for a "serious" camera.

Are you serious? I hope you're just kidding... Lets go over a few key elements of the two bodies in discussion. The D300 is a full-frame camera, the D5000 is not so there is no true comparing the two. The D300 has an internal focus motor, the D5000 does not. A focus motor isn't a necessity but it would be nice to have in my camera, that's for certain! Without going any further into your misguided suggestion, it's a bad idea. Anyone with a D300 really shouldn't even think of having anything below a D90 as a backup. Good luck on finding a backup model though sir! - ( meant for the O.P.)

Are you serious? I hope you're just kidding..... The D300 IS NOT a full frame camera... it is a crop frame, just like the D5000. Not to say that the 5000 holds up performance wise to the 300, but face it, you are spending $1000 dollars more on the D300. Also, why wouldn't you have anything less than a D90? The D5000 shares the same exact image sensor. As a matter of fact, as far as imaging goes, it is practically the same camera, only lacking a few features of the D90. If you read above, the OP asked for an affordable backup.

To the OP, the D5000 would be a fine choice as a backup. Broadwayphoto.com is selling it new with an 18-55mm kit lens for $449. Good luck in finding a backup!

actually id consider getting D3100. nice and small but capable since primarily its for your wife right?

I just found a D80 with 28-105 and a sb600 for $500. Sound good?

I have to pick it up tonight for that price to stick. Feedback on the body?

hmmmm i must say thats too good to be true almost. body...lens...and flash? for 500usd?

if he's a wedding photographer...evade the flash. most likely its on its last flashes before it craps out...not to mention consider how many actuation (not sure thats the right word) the shutter has too

make sure the lens closes at every aperture and make sure it zooms out from one end of the focal length to the other and make sure it autofocuses too....also doesnt hurt to take a few test pics to see if the sensor is clean...

take a flash light and check for scratches/fungus on the lens too while you're at it...

go the whole nine-yards on that deal cause its a bit too much of a steal...

Yeah, he has a d40 and d80, he is 500 short on his 300 and supposed to pick it up tomorrow. How can I check the actuations? Also he wanted 800 but I offered quick cash

Most reactions

New Topics

Back