Africa ain't for sissies

CarlosFrazao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
  1. Found this poor guy and another one with Fresh open wounds while out on my little safari trip, I can't imagine the pain of being mauled alive and then getting away and having to live with the damage left behind
    IMG_3396.JPG

Whatever grabbed it probably got a good kick in the head for its trouble. Will be tough for it to survive, but that is nature for you. Nice shot.

Yeah that must hurt a lot. Do you think that's from lions?

Yikes. Poor thing. Like goooner said, Whatever attacked it probably got a good kick in the face. Interesting shot though.

Interesting. When I saw this, I wondered what attacked it as most cats don't usually attack from the rear unless forced to as they often go right for the throat, at least one of them does. Lions usually attack in groups - the females in the pride - and I doubt that leopards and cheetahs would go after something this large. They usually go after wild boars and small antelope such as impala, gazelles, etc. Makes me wonder if it was attacked by hyenas or wild dogs. Carlos, any evidence as to what might have attacked it? Obviously (?), something thought it would make a good meal.

WesternGuy

I wonder if it could be dogs (africa has wild-dogs) or hyena. I've seen a deer with bite marks on the hind leg from a suspected dog attack- risky to bite there, but at the same time if you're close already its a good spot to bite at, sever the tendons and the animal goes down; or grasp the tail base and pull and you can unbalance it and pull it over - or at least curtail its motion to let another get at the throat and mouth (favoured attack path of lions at least who aim to suffocate their prey).

Certainly great example of the brutality of nature that we often don't see in media or photography (we might see the brutal battle but less often those who make it away - even if sometimes their days are numbered as the risk of infection from such an injury is very high).

Lions often attack by jumping from behind, usually more than one to force the pray down, before going for the kill by suffocating. Especially larger pray with horns-buffalo for example.

Judging by the hight I would guess Heyena, as lions would jump higher. The zebra would have been dead if it was a pack of wild dogs, they are relentless and the most successful hunters in africa.

Hi guys yeah this is a tough one I'm really not sure what might have gone for it, it's definitely not hyena as they only have brown hyena which is always alone( I also saw one of them very rare). My thinking is still lion as I have seen when the mother teaches the cubs to kill they will usually pull the prey down and then the cubs will start munching them from all sides as they don't really go for the throats then. But then it could also have been wild dogs as they are there. I have a another shot where you can see where the lion or cheetah grabbed it on the butt with their claws and it's still open and fresh. Feel so sorry for them

Hi guys yeah this is a tough one I'm really not sure what might have gone for it, it's definitely not hyena as they only have brown hyena which is always alone( I also saw one of them very rare). My thinking is still lion as I have seen when the mother teaches the cubs to kill they will usually pull the prey down and then the cubs will start munching them from all sides as they don't really go for the throats then. But then it could also have been wild dogs as they are there. I have a another shot where you can see where the lion or cheetah grabbed it on the butt with their claws and it's still open and fresh. Feel so sorry for them

yeah but thats nature for you some days you see stuff you never want to forget other times you see stuff you want to forget but cant it is hard to un see stuff like that i have tried after seeing a young raccoon on the road that was hit by a car one side of its face was completly wide open it
for sure did not make it for more then a few hours after me and my dad saw it because if a vulture did not get it a coyote or fox would

Carlos, was this Botswana or Tanzania or Kenya? I'm looking at a possible photo safari in Africa and considering options and locations. If you want, we can move this offline to email or PMs.

Carlos, was this Botswana or Tanzania or Kenya? I'm looking at a possible photo safari in Africa and considering options and locations. If you want, we can move this offline to email or PMs.

hey bud i don't mind here or pm are fine with me.. unfortunately it wasn't at any of those countries it was in south africa it self the park is called Pilanesberg Pilanesberg National Park & Game Reserve. i hope the link works.. it will be about an 3 hour drive from Johannesburg international, it is much smaller than the Kruger park but only a 2hour drive from my home so it will become my main place to go... Sun City is also very close to it if you don't feel the safari vibe you can go relax there... this park will be much cheaper than what a trip to any of those countries you mentioned, but also speak to western guy as he has been to sabi sands and that is one of africas best kept gems especially if you looking at photographing the big cats.. if you need anything just give me a shout

These shots of a different zebra one can definitely see that some sort of big cat grabbed it from behind but it was lucky enough to get free
IMG_3425.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG

Wow, I want to go there. Have to show the wife. That looks incredible.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Do it, it's truly worth it and a gem of a place to go. Plus all you guys from the states and other countries money is so much stronger than the Rand it works out cheap for you guys.

hey bud i don't mind here or pm are fine with me.. unfortunately it wasn't at any of those countries it was in south africa it self the park is called Pilanesberg Pilanesberg National Park & Game Reserve. i hope the link works.. it will be about an 3 hour drive from Johannesburg international, it is much smaller than the Kruger park but only a 2hour drive from my home so it will become my main place to go... Sun City is also very close to it if you don't feel the safari vibe you can go relax there... this park will be much cheaper than what a trip to any of those countries you mentioned, but also speak to western guy as he has been to sabi sands and that is one of africas best kept gems especially if you looking at photographing the big cats.. if you need anything just give me a shout
Thanks for the details. And count on it--I'll be in touch. Still scoping out possibilities.

Most reactions

Back