Africa ain't for sissies

Carlos, there is only brown hyena - interesting. I have been to Africa 5 times and only seen one in Namibia. I have seen lost of spotted ones though. Thanks for posting the last pics, as it definitely looks like a cat was after it. If it was lions that attacked it, then it is very lucky unless it was a single lion which I have never seen - always prides, with at least two or three females. It is very interesting to see them hunt as a group.

JoeW, I have been to all three countries, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania and a couple of others. In my humble opinion, it really doesn't matter which one you choose you will see a wide variety of animals. A lot depends on what you want to see. Knowing what I know now, it would be hard for me to choose between Kenya and Tanzania, particularly if you want to see the "big 5". One thing is for sure, once you go, you will never look at a zoo the same way again. You also want to go during the "dry" season, otherwise you may find it very wet in some cases and animals very scarce. Not only that, there is less vegetation cover for the animals in the dry season and you will see more and get better pictures.

I would also suggest that you choose an established and reputable safari company and make sure that your trip is all inclusive. You will find that most "all inclusive costs" do not include liquor, telephone calls (if necessary) and maybe a few other things. You will also be required to tip the guides and drivers if they are different people and the "staff" of the resort. Make sure you take enough money, usually local currency, for these gratuities. If you want to go on a "photo safari", then make sure that it is what you are signing up for. Most photo safaris allow one row of seats per photographer. Anything less, and you will most likely not get some of the shots you might like to get.

Make sure you have travel insurance in case the trip, or part of it, gets cancelled, and "travel medical insurance" as you never know what could happen. If you are interested, there are a couple of folks I can recommend for "photo" tours.

WesternGuy

Carlos, there is only brown hyena - interesting. I have been to Africa 5 times and only seen one in Namibia. I have seen lost of spotted ones though. Thanks for posting the last pics, as it definitely looks like a cat was after it. If it was lions that attacked it, then it is very lucky unless it was a single lion which I have never seen - always prides, with at least two or three females. It is very interesting to see them hunt as a group.

JoeW, I have been to all three countries, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania and a couple of others. In my humble opinion, it really doesn't matter which one you choose you will see a wide variety of animals. A lot depends on what you want to see. Knowing what I know now, it would be hard for me to choose between Kenya and Tanzania, particularly if you want to see the "big 5". One thing is for sure, once you go, you will never look at a zoo the same way again. You also want to go during the "dry" season, otherwise you may find it very wet in some cases and animals very scarce. Not only that, there is less vegetation cover for the animals in the dry season and you will see more and get better pictures.

I would also suggest that you choose an established and reputable safari company and make sure that your trip is all inclusive. You will find that most "all inclusive costs" do not include liquor, telephone calls (if necessary) and maybe a few other things. You will also be required to tip the guides and drivers if they are different people and the "staff" of the resort. Make sure you take enough money, usually local currency, for these gratuities. If you want to go on a "photo safari", then make sure that it is what you are signing up for. Most photo safaris allow one row of seats per photographer. Anything less, and you will most likely not get some of the shots you might like to get.

Make sure you have travel insurance in case the trip, or part of it, gets cancelled, and "travel medical insurance" as you never know what could happen. If you are interested, there are a couple of folks I can recommend for "photo" tours.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy yeah they only have the brown hyena there i did get a few photos of him but they aren't that great as he was trying to get away from us in the bush, i can post them if you'd like to see... they are really illusive animals they can be much worse to spot than a leopard.... about wanting to see the big 5 i was in pilanesberg for 4 days i saw about 100 elephant, 50 buffalo, 35 rhino, 18 lions and one leopard so i don't think you have to go to these other countries to be gaurenteed to see them.

also about the lions i saw a pride of 10 lions come past me fully focussed for the hunt they where all teenagers, 4 males stayed behind and the 6 females went further stalking the zebras then the main female took the lead and the other 5 stayed behind and she went in by herself unfortunately the wind direction changed and the zebra picked up their scent and took off, but thats a case of only one lion going in..

i also know of a few photo tour guys that i could give some names if you guys like..

I would be interested in seeing some of your Brown Hyena pics - maybe another thread. I do know that you can see the "Big 5" in a lot of places, it is just that in some places they are easier to find than others - black rhino can be scarce (so I am told). I did not see the big 5 in Botswana, but they are there. It was certainly much easier to see them in Kenya and Tanzania, and, of course, you can see them in a lot of places in South Africa.

Your description of the pride's hunting party is interesting as I have not seen a situation where only one lion goes in and leaves the other females behind. I have watched them hunt, unsuccessfully, in groups for wildebeest. In the case that I saw, I suspect that the wind direction changed and the wildebeest took off before the lions had much of a chance to bring one down. Regardless, it is always interesting to watch them hunt.

WesternGuy

I would be interested in seeing some of your Brown Hyena pics - maybe another thread. I do know that you can see the "Big 5" in a lot of places, it is just that in some places they are easier to find than others - black rhino can be scarce (so I am told). I did not see the big 5 in Botswana, but they are there. It was certainly much easier to see them in Kenya and Tanzania, and, of course, you can see them in a lot of places in South Africa.

Your description of the pride's hunting party is interesting as I have not seen a situation where only one lion goes in and leaves the other females behind. I have watched them hunt, unsuccessfully, in groups for wildebeest. In the case that I saw, I suspect that the wind direction changed and the wildebeest took off before the lions had much of a chance to bring one down. Regardless, it is always interesting to watch them hunt.

WesternGuy

ok great i will get a few shots on my phone of the hyena so i can load them up...

i was lucky to see white and black rhino and nearly got a horn in my car from a black rhino too was eating with a baby and must have gotten a fright went we drove by slowly i have never seen such a big animals gone airborne and turn around..

yeah the hunting thing i guess theres no set rule for them and it was strange for me aswell with only the one going out and the rest staying back

I think we must always remember that theories and studies of animal behaviour are always a slightly simplistic view (esp when presented in typical education material) and that individual situations and individuals within groups are capable of behaviour abnormal to those "rules". And, of course, the more complex the animal and its thinking and its environment, the more potential there is for alternative behaviour (or just behaviour that is poorly documented or rare in occurrence).

edited...

i was lucky to see white and black rhino and nearly got a horn in my car from a black rhino too was eating with a baby and must have gotten a fright went we drove by slowly i have never seen such a big animals gone airborne and turn around..

The few times I have seen black rhino, the guide driving the jeep was very hesitant to get too close to them as they are prone to charging vehicles, whereas the white rhinos I have seen are pretty amiable compared to the black. When I was in Sabi last year, we found a white rhino just resting in the shade of a small tree and he didn't even look at us, or move, as we approached. Our guide told us that they do not usually pay too much attention to jeeps unless it is mating season and then he stays clear of them. Most folks have no idea how fast they can move when provoked. :biggrin-93:

Western Guy

I would hate to find out. If I go, I'll be sure to pack extra skivvies...

edited...

The few times I have seen black rhino, the guide driving the jeep was very hesitant to get too close to them as they are prone to charging vehicles, whereas the white rhinos I have seen are pretty amiable compared to the black. When I was in Sabi last year, we found a white rhino just resting in the shade of a small tree and he didn't even look at us, or move, as we approached. Our guide told us that they do not usually pay too much attention to jeeps unless it is mating season and then he stays clear of them. Most folks have no idea how fast they can move when provoked. :biggrin-93:

Western Guy

yeah they all big boys that would easily bend a car in half i have been attacked by both black and white rhino both cases they had babies and elephant aswell fun times haha

I would hate to find out. If I go, I'll be sure to pack extra skivvies...

take a few they can get dirty quickly haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back