What's new

After a new camera bag

Overread19

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
25,507
Reaction score
5,112
Location
UK - England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm after a bag to replace as my main bag over my Lowe-pro minitrekker bag. Something that is more heavy duty in construction and support/comfort for when carrying a heavier gear - plus its regular storage compartment gets a bit full when trying to get waterproofs and lunch in their at the same time.

So I'm in the market for something larger and whilst I know that trying out is the best approach I'd like some idea of what options on the market might be the best to consider. At the moment I've my eyes on:

National Geographic Earth Explorer Backpack - Large
Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW

However I'm open to other suggestions.

As an idea of the kind of gear I want to transport I currently carry:
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 - 2*Teleconvertr - MPE 65mm macro
Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro - 70mm f2.8 macro - 1.4 teleconverter
Tokina 35mm macro
Canon 580EX2 - Mt-24ex
lunch - drink - waterproofs - other stuff

though I'm also after a bag that can easily take additions to that list - namely 300mm f2.8 so that the bag remains usable in the future.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
I've certainly no problems with the quality of their bags, the Mini-trekker has taken a heck of a lot of weight that I'm sure it's not really supposed to be taking and its not had any problems at all - certainly very tough bag!
 
I hear good things about thinktank bags. Designed by photographers.
 
Another vote for LowePro, I've got the Pro Trekker 300. Just this weekend hauled a 60D, Zeiss 50mm, Tokina 11-16, Gitzo 3531 + Markins Q10, filters, adapter rings, water, lunch, and a raincoat on an 8 mile hike. Very impressed with the way it handled. It usually also carries the other lenses in my sig, plus 2 speedlights, batteries, etc... but it was a long hike so they stayed at home. : ) I can also strap 2 lightstands and umbrellas to the outside of it, and stuff a book of gels in the lid pocket, plus a laptop in the laptop pocket.
 
I have a Computrekker AW. I rarely put a laptop in the laptop sleeve, but it was cheaper than the same size bag without the sleeve. I usually put magazines or a notebook in there when I travel.

I like that the computrekker has a decent sized area in front for misc. storage but overall, I think I would prefer the design of the naturetrekker or protrekker bags. My problem, I think, is that my Computrekker isn't tall enough for it's size...and thus, much of the weight disbursement is farther away from my body. It's like carrying a round boulder on m back. I shot with someone who had a Naturetrekker, and I liked that it was taller by not as thick, thus keeping the weight and dimensions closer to the body.

Either way, I really don't like one aspect of these backpacks...and that is the way you access them. You have to unzuip the whole back (front?) of the bag and lay it down. The problem is that it's very hard to do this without putting the bag down onto something. And if you are outside without a clean surface to put the bag down on...you may end up laying it down onto the wet/dirty ground. And what is on the bottom when you lay it down? The straps. So when you pick it up again, your straps are wet & dirty, which makes you wet & dirty as well.

This is why I like the old school box type shoulder bags. The bottom of the bag is always the bottom of the bag, and you could set it down into a mud puddle if you had to...only the bottom of the bag will get dirty...and while that may transfer to you, it is more likely to get your pants than your shirt.

But of course, carrying a box type bag over your shoulder, is a lot less comfortable than a backpack.

If I was going to look at a new bag, and budget wasn't too much of an issue. I'd look at Lowepro, but I'd also look at ThinkTank. Their bags get great reviews from many photographers.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom