Dilemma with camera bag. Advice from more experienced people?

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a LowePro Nova 200 AW shoulder bag. It carries everything I need (body + lens, 70-300, 50mm, 11-16, and speedlight). Obviously, the problem with shoulder bags, and especially with carrying a lot of gear, is that your shoulder starts hurting after a short period of time. My bag, when full, gives me a sore shoulder pretty quickly. I could probably get away with carrying less when I go out and shoot but I also like to be out for hours at a time, mainly hiking or walking around, and I also want to be prepared. I'm generally a spontaneous adventurer, so one minute I could be hiking and only need one lens, the next I could be doing something indoors later in the day and need my speedlight.

From the more experienced shooters, is it worth pulling the trigger on a pricey backpack? Just a few days ago, I was hiking in a state park and had one of those pull-string backpack type gym bags with a beach towel and lens inside and it was hella annoying to keep taking the bag off to swap lenses. BUT, I also wish I had a backpack because I was climbing incredibly steep and muddy slopes and it ended up raining on us. The only thing stopping me from getting just like a small carrying pouch or something is that I like being on the safe side and bringing all my gear with me. Perks of being a nooby shooter, I enjoy the comfort of having everything on me instead of learning to shoot with less.

I forget how this forum works because I haven't been on in years lol...trying to edit but I don't see an option.

Currently, I'm looking at the Think Tank Streetwalker and Lowepro Pro Runner BP 350 AW II.

I much prefer a backpack when I'm out and about. One with a chest and a waist strap helps distribute the load. I use a Lowepro 300AW and it's decent but I'd have liked a better way of holding a bigger more sturdy tripod. A mesh back would have been useful too as it can get a bit hot on a hike, and the rain cover won't cover my tripod when it's attached, so if the rain gets really heavy I need to carry the tripod.

I have a Lowepro Event Messenger 150 and a ThinkTank Streetwalker. I really do like ThinkTank bags, they are top notch quality but I've honestly been thinking about selling my ThinkTank bag because it's not fitting my lenses the way I like. It seems like the bag would work better with "pro" lenses, like 24-70 and 70-200 lenses not with my smaller f/4 "pro" lenses. The bag has a lot of room that's just wasted in my opinion and because there is so much extra room, the lenses just bounce around, no matter how I have it configured. So lately I've just been using it as a storage bag, I've actually never even took it outside as I've been putting my gear in my Event Messenger bag instead and I find that much more easier to handle for what I do. So I, myself, may look at their ThinkTank Retrospective bags instead or maybe LowePro's Photo Classic BP 300AW which I think would work better for me.

Like most photographers, there is not one end all camera bag. We all have different camera bags for different situations. One for storage, hiking, travel, city, etc.

If you can, go to a local camera store that has a wide selection of camera bags and check them out and see what would for you. Since you mentioned hiking and what gear you have, I'd take a look at the Flipside Trek BP 350 AW.

People's physiology much prefers a bag with two straps, one for each shoulder to balance the load. This will also have the effect of lessening the load on one shoulder because the other shoulder is sharing part of the load.

Additionally, modern hiker backpacks place a substantial part of the load on the hips, getting much of the weight off the shoulders.

Get a proper backpack, adjust it correctly, and your shoulder pain will be much less.

Have you considered a sling type bag. Some of them have great straps that help balance the weight when on your back (Much better than shoulder bags) and pulling it to the front is easier than taking a backpack off your shoulder each time.

I'm in agreement with whats been said. For anything more than just moving gear from place to place Im using a backpack. Not only do backpacks do a far better job of distributing the load but they place the load on the body more symmetrically which adds to comfort. There are a lot of backpack options out there, you can go for a strict photo one or just a general backpack and put your photo gear in it. I really like the stuff these guys make.

Dave

Thanks a lot guys!

I looked at the dimensions for some of the backpacks I'm interested in and they seem like they would be okay for traveling with? My LowePro shoulder bag was just the right size to be considered a carry-on and could be brought on-board planes and stored underneath seats.

Have you considered a sling type bag. Some of them have great straps that help balance the weight when on your back (Much better than shoulder bags) and pulling it to the front is easier than taking a backpack off your shoulder each time.

I looked at them briefly but read that slings are only good if you're carrying a body and 1-2 lenses. Then when you want to carry more, backpacks are better.

So now I've come across another dilemma for a backpack. How effective are LowePro's All-Weather cover's on backpacks that have a "rear" loading section? The Flipside Trek BP 350 for example, has a camera compartment that rests against your back, however, the All-Weather cover only protects the outer part. In a worst case scenario (ie - thunderstorm), what's to stop the water from slowly seeping into the seams of the camera compartment on such a backpack?

I was considering the Flipside Trek series because they have room for both camera and personal stuff. It's just enough room for a days hike (water, snacks, keys, phone, etc.) with the camera space for my gear. Now, I'm concerned about my gear getting wet. I might lean towards a daypack backpack but I also enjoy the compartmentalized area for the camera gear.

Really interested to hear which you go with and how you like it. I have the Canon 300-DG bag for my stuff and it sure makes my shoulder sore. Been looking at backpacks, just not sure which one is right for me. Many look like you have to remove the backpack to get to your gear. And some are way more expensive and don't look any different than others out there.

Last Saturday, I found a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW at a thrift store for 8.99. For that price I'm willing to try it. It still uses only one shoulder strap, but it's pretty wide and soft. Loaded some stuff into it and feels good, but haven't actually hit the trail with it yet. I like how you just swing it around and get to the side compartment. It has the cover you're asking about. Had the same thought about water getting in. Not sure about that either. Hoping to never get caught in a heavy downpour to test it. If the humidity isn't too bad this weekend, I'll load it up and see how it goes. Might still be looking for a backpack.

Amazon.com : Lowepro Slingshot 200 All Weather Backpack (Black) : Camera Accessory Bags : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your first reaction to the backpack is accurate--it's a hassle to take it off, pull stuff out, shoot, restore items. It doesn't mean you shouldn't get a backpack. It just means that I don't think the backpack solves your challenges.

My advice:
1. Find some kind of device (a black rapid sling, a holster, etc.) that holds what you need "in a moment"...like a body and a versatile zoom.
2. Get a good day pack. And put in a camera insert. It will hold your camera gear, probably a tripod, food, water, maybe a poncho, maybe some fleece, some bug spray. The backpack will always be the best way to distribute and carry a load of stuff long distances (short of having a sherpa accompany you of course). But you aren't going to be about to get gear out of the backpack quickly. And frankly, if you can get everything in a sling, than you don't really need a big camera backpack. You need a backpack that carries some stuff AND your camera gear. Thus...the insert is the way to go.

So now I've come across another dilemma for a backpack. How effective are LowePro's All-Weather cover's on backpacks that have a "rear" loading section? The Flipside Trek BP 350 for example, has a camera compartment that rests against your back, however, the All-Weather cover only protects the outer part. In a worst case scenario (ie - thunderstorm), what's to stop the water from slowly seeping into the seams of the camera compartment on such a backpack?

I was considering the Flipside Trek series because they have room for both camera and personal stuff. It's just enough room for a days hike (water, snacks, keys, phone, etc.) with the camera space for my gear. Now, I'm concerned about my gear getting wet. I might lean towards a daypack backpack but I also enjoy the compartmentalized area for the camera gear.

The material the bag is made of is a bit water resistant, and pretty thick it'll stand a light shower no problems without any protection. The waterproof cover will protect most of the bag so it's really only the back and shoulder straps that get wet. I took my 350AW out on a 1/2 day walk in pretty much constant drizzle eith some spells of heavyier rain and it was fine, not even damp on the inside though the exterior material got a bit wet (but I also didn't use the cover for a significant part of the day). I also have my lenses and camera and electronic bits in seperate dry bags which then all goes into the backpack. Gives me pretty much total piece of mind to be out all day in soaking conditions, by the sea and no gear worries.

Saying that lowepro waterproof backpacks too.

My bag is used to get me to where I'm going. From there on I only carry what I plan on using. There is no way I'd even consider carrying my whole camera bag around all day. One body, one lens, and that's it.

There is no perfect camera bag. I have purchased no less than 10, and no matter, they always have excellent features and short comings. So, if you happen to find that perfect one, please post it here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back