Dilemma with camera bag. Advice from more experienced people?

I went through the pain of finding a new bag not too long ago. My shoulders have been killing me from working out of a shoulder bag for a while, and I wanted something different but with the same access as a shoulder bag.

My first idea was the belt systems, but I don't know if you want to look like batman and his tool belt. Then one of the photojournalists I run into a lot while working in photojournalism showed me his think tank bag. Its part shoulder bag, part belt system. I picked up the think tank speed racer from KEH used. It saved me about $100 over new. This is also the largest belt bag they make. You should be able to fit all of yours in one of the smaller bags if you go this route.

The advantages are that when you need a quick grab and go bag it is a shoulder bag, but then it also has a belt system built into it. Last Saturday I had to cover three events spanning from 10am to 8pm. So about 10 hours of toting all my stuff around minus travel time between the three which was about 40min. Having the ability to transfer the weight to my waist helped so much. It was amazing to come home just a little sore, and not dying from all the weight. I did use it as a shoulder bag for a little bit at one event due to working in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity. It did get a little toasty on my waist, but it was still bearable.

Another neat feature is that you can use the belt system and shoulder strap at the same time. This allows you to spread the weight between your shoulders and waist. The bag is also expandable because you can add some of the pouches on the sides if you're running a larger gig, or want quick access to some stuff over others. The top also opens away from your body so you don't have to fight with the top when digging for gear.

As far as gear I carry, its two gripped bodies, two 2.8 lenses, a 50 1.4, note pads, pens, cards, batteries, sb-700, and a few other tidbits shoved in there. It does fit a 70-200 (Unattached) without issue so it is a deep bag. I can shove it in there attached, but the closing of the bag is a little tough.

I forgot to mention something else in my last post. I'd like to travel with this backpack too, so it'd have to meet the carry-on size specifications (22x14x9) which I guess has some wiggle room. I'm being awfully picky haha.

I just might end up going with the Flipside Trek 350. It has everything that I want. I'm just really concerned about the camera compartment getting wet if I get caught in a down pour.

edit - after spending some time looking at Osprey bags, I did come across this one: Amazon.com: Osprey Packs Nebula Daypack, Armor Grey: Sports & Outdoors

Perfect for carry-on, great for "weekend getaways" (which is good for my Maine trip to Acadia National Park that will last 3 days), room for a small camera insert with 3 slots...which I then came across this: Amazon.com : Camaroo DSLR Camera Insert - Compact : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

Really interested to hear which you go with and how you like it. I have the Canon 300-DG bag for my stuff and it sure makes my shoulder sore. Been looking at backpacks, just not sure which one is right for me. Many look like you have to remove the backpack to get to your gear. And some are way more expensive and don't look any different than others out there.

Last Saturday, I found a Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW at a thrift store for 8.99. For that price I'm willing to try it. It still uses only one shoulder strap, but it's pretty wide and soft. Loaded some stuff into it and feels good, but haven't actually hit the trail with it yet. I like how you just swing it around and get to the side compartment. It has the cover you're asking about. Had the same thought about water getting in. Not sure about that either. Hoping to never get caught in a heavy downpour to test it. If the humidity isn't too bad this weekend, I'll load it up and see how it goes. Might still be looking for a backpack.

Amazon.com : Lowepro Slingshot 200 All Weather Backpack (Black) : Camera Accessory Bags : Camera & Photo

I know there are a ton of options and having to choose from behind a monitor is killing me. There is one camera store locally that I know of and it's not even a dedicated camera store. I've been to another one of their locations over 5 years ago and they had a limited selection on camera stuff. And the outdoor stores around me are the typical chains (Field and Stream, Dicks, etc.) that carry their cheap store brand stuff and a couple name brand (Kelty mainly) backpacks that aren't what I'm looking for.

Your first reaction to the backpack is accurate--it's a hassle to take it off, pull stuff out, shoot, restore items. It doesn't mean you shouldn't get a backpack. It just means that I don't think the backpack solves your challenges.

My advice:
1. Find some kind of device (a black rapid sling, a holster, etc.) that holds what you need "in a moment"...like a body and a versatile zoom.
2. Get a good day pack. And put in a camera insert. It will hold your camera gear, probably a tripod, food, water, maybe a poncho, maybe some fleece, some bug spray. The backpack will always be the best way to distribute and carry a load of stuff long distances (short of having a sherpa accompany you of course). But you aren't going to be about to get gear out of the backpack quickly. And frankly, if you can get everything in a sling, than you don't really need a big camera backpack. You need a backpack that carries some stuff AND your camera gear. Thus...the insert is the way to go.

My friend is outdoorsy and she recommended a day pack. This will probably be the way to go, along with a camera insert (thanks for that). I know I won't be able to get my gear out quickly but if I'm hiking, I'll be looking more for storage and comfort over accessibility. I still consider myself a "beginner" photographer that shoots for fun, so accessibility for "those moments" aren't a thing for me yet.

The material the bag is made of is a bit water resistant, and pretty thick it'll stand a light shower no problems without any protection. The waterproof cover will protect most of the bag so it's really only the back and shoulder straps that get wet. I took my 350AW out on a 1/2 day walk in pretty much constant drizzle eith some spells of heavyier rain and it was fine, not even damp on the inside though the exterior material got a bit wet (but I also didn't use the cover for a significant part of the day). I also have my lenses and camera and electronic bits in seperate dry bags which then all goes into the backpack. Gives me pretty much total piece of mind to be out all day in soaking conditions, by the sea and no gear worries.

Saying that lowepro waterproof backpacks too.

Thanks for chiming in! It's good to know they can take some water.

My bag is used to get me to where I'm going. From there on I only carry what I plan on using. There is no way I'd even consider carrying my whole camera bag around all day. One body, one lens, and that's it.

That's all I really want it for too. I usually carry my 18-105 attached and then my 11-16 for hikes. I'm going to Acadia National Park in a month though so I'd also like to bring my 70-300 along on the hike, which is why I had my eye on the Flipside Trek series. The 350 appears to have just enough room for those 3 lenses and my DSLR.

There is no perfect camera bag. I have purchased no less than 10, and no matter, they always have excellent features and short comings. So, if you happen to find that perfect one, please post it here.

That's why I'm being so picky. I hate buying and returning over and over again. In the past, I have kept things I didn't really like but settled with because I didn't want to deal with returning it :p. As long as I find one that suits my needs, I'll be happy.

I went through the pain of finding a new bag not too long ago. My shoulders have been killing me from working out of a shoulder bag for a while, and I wanted something different but with the same access as a shoulder bag.

My first idea was the belt systems, but I don't know if you want to look like batman and his tool belt. Then one of the photojournalists I run into a lot while working in photojournalism showed me his think tank bag. Its part shoulder bag, part belt system. I picked up the think tank speed racer from KEH used. It saved me about $100 over new. This is also the largest belt bag they make. You should be able to fit all of yours in one of the smaller bags if you go this route.

The advantages are that when you need a quick grab and go bag it is a shoulder bag, but then it also has a belt system built into it. Last Saturday I had to cover three events spanning from 10am to 8pm. So about 10 hours of toting all my stuff around minus travel time between the three which was about 40min. Having the ability to transfer the weight to my waist helped so much. It was amazing to come home just a little sore, and not dying from all the weight. I did use it as a shoulder bag for a little bit at one event due to working in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity. It did get a little toasty on my waist, but it was still bearable.

Another neat feature is that you can use the belt system and shoulder strap at the same time. This allows you to spread the weight between your shoulders and waist. The bag is also expandable because you can add some of the pouches on the sides if you're running a larger gig, or want quick access to some stuff over others. The top also opens away from your body so you don't have to fight with the top when digging for gear.

As far as gear I carry, its two gripped bodies, two 2.8 lenses, a 50 1.4, note pads, pens, cards, batteries, sb-700, and a few other tidbits shoved in there. It does fit a 70-200 (Unattached) without issue so it is a deep bag. I can shove it in there attached, but the closing of the bag is a little tough.

I can't imagine a shoulder bag with a belt system being any better than my shoulder bag having a belt system. I guess the waist buckle would take some load off of the shoulder strap but I can't imagine it being much, especially if I'm going to be hiking and toting around personal stuff. No matter how I carry my shoulder bag, it always ends up hurting. Whether I carry it on one shoulder with the bag hanging off the same side, or with the strap on one shoulder and the strap going diagonally across me and the bag bouncing off my hip... The load is too much on one strap and it hurts regardless of its position. Backpacks look more appealing because the 2 straps and also the chest buckle AND waist buckle that help further support the pack more comfortably.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whistler BP 350

That one will keep you dry unless you are jumping into water.

I've checked that one out but it's way too expensive for me [emoji53]. I don't have enough gear to fill that space anyways haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, I just started a new thread too. Check it out here, I just posted about some options I was looking at: Adventure Backpack Opinions

What you will go with largely depends on your budget. From what you've wrote here, seems to be around $200? If so, I think the Flipside Trek 350 as you mentioned looks great if your camera gear will fit. Though when you think about it, for a nice lasting pack that you won't have to buy again, the Whistler 350 isn't too much more. And the camera compartment is actually smaller than it looks, it's much thinner than most so you'll actually have to reconfigure for two rows instead of the three they have in the photos. All the reviews I've seen say that, or else you'll have to remove all the lens hoods to fit three-wide. Just something to think about.

FWIW, I bought a Whistler 450. If F-Stop had stuff in stock I would have went with them, but they're out of your budget I think. Though if you're going with the hiking backpack and an ICU, F-Stop's ICU's are great. And in stock.

I pulled the trigger on an Osprey Nebula Daypack. After spending a week Googling reviews, threads, and watching YouTube videos of different bags, I decided to give the Nebula a shot. It definitely has plenty of room for a days worth of hiking and more. I also got this insert: Amazon.com : Camaroo DSLR Camera Insert - Compact : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo that will allow me to bring my 70-300 and 11-16 while I have my 18-105 attached and resting on top. I'll have a change of clothes with me in the bag anyways, so the camera can easily nest in the main compartment above the insert. After watching a video on that bag, it's got some serious room.

Thank you all for your advice. Even if I didn't end up going with your recommendation, it ultimately helped me decide what to get.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back