after lurking I have some questions.... from fresh newbie

Shaynethemom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay,

I joined TPF love it. Ive been lurking , and reading like crazy ...
I just bought a Nikon 3000 , suggested from another forum ( not photography but has a photography section lol ) to start out with, well it was between the D40 and D3000, but the D40 is being discontinued ? so next suggestion was D3000, so i went and got it... I think i like it, it's a little intimidating I am sure any DSLR would be to me .. I have minimal knowledge of photography .. and would go into photography safe to say I know nothing just to learn it "right".. but I do have some questions..

Is it a "must" to have photo shop software? and if so why? and where would I get it?

I just took the camera out today and snapped a couple shots while in the guide mode just to get the feel of it. but nothing worth any CC lol

1. It would be most helpful to have some sort of post processing software to fix the pics for those times you just can't get it right in camera.

2. As to where to buy the software....umm...Adobe Photoshop, the most popular of them all, is available at most local electronic retailers. You can order on line as well.

Yeah, you'll need photo editing software. Most images straight out of the camera need tonal adjustments -- levels, contrast, etc.

Gimp is free. >http://www.gimp.org<

welcome to TFP,i just joined a while ago and as you i'm new to photography but its fun here,check out other people's work ,you'll learn alot and you'll get inspired too.

I would download Gimp, and go from there. There are so many tutorials online, so if you wanted to say, make the eyes pop, just google, eye pop in gimp and bam, step by step instructions.
You can do this for photoshop too but Gimp is FREE and once you've mastered gimp and feel you need more, then step up to Photoshop.

there is also some basic editing software that came with the camera. it may be a good place to start.

Photoscape is free and is very good it also has a series of video's that show you how to use the various tools.

Gimp was mentioned, so was Photoscape, Google has a free one as well call Picasa. You should have also received software with your D3000. IMO, Photoscape and Picasa are very simple and have a very small learning curve. Gimp was to me harder to learn. Kepp in mind that you are going to learn your camera and the software at the same time - try to keep it simple.

As far as store bought - Adobe Photoshop is the ultimate unless you're running a MAC then it has another software application. For PCs, Adobe also has Lightroom, Corel has software and I picked up software from a company called Serif - I use it but haven't fully learned it yet. I bought it on ebay for $30 ... it seems to be a bargain.

gimp is free or PS Elements is very affordable....its what i use

I would also go with Photoshop Elements to start, or even just Abode Lightroom.

CS5 and such are amazing softwares, but when someone is learning, they are so huge and have so many features it can get confusing learning it. Elements is a great software with alot of features for photographers.

I think its like $100 or so, maybe even less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back