After my first camera

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone just had a question today,
I have had my one and only camera for a while now. Its a D50, and its been a good camera no problems so far. But its seems like its limiting my photography, mainly because it cant handle an ISO over 400 with out a lot of grain, and the sensor size doesn't allow for tight coping when it would be useful.
If I wasn't that much into photography it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But this is what I want to do in the future for a career (hopefully!). So it seems to me that investing into another camera wouldn't be a waste.
I am the only yearbook and newspaper photographer at our school so I'm always assigned to sports events and indoor meetings, so I was looking for a camera that can handle low light situations but have a fast enough shutter speed.
So the question is, what do I start saving for next? Should I stay with Nikon and get something like the D5000 or D90. But I also have been wondering about switching over to Cannon but thats a whole other topic(Nikon or Cannon).

So if anyone has anything to enlighten me about this it would be greatly appreciated!

After struggling with high ISO issues myself I went with the D90 and couldn't be happier, I love this thing.

The way I see it is that the D90 is still an entry level camera (it's just a little more advanced than the lower models). The D5000 is basically the same, but it's fancied up a little such as the swivel-screen.

If you are going to save up and invest in a better body, I would look into a D300. If money is an issue, you can find them used for a few hundred more than a new D90. Used D200's are even cheaper.

There are ways to 'shoot around' digital noise...mainly by Expose Right.

I wouldn't bother switching systems, both Canon & Nikon are as good as it gets in this aspect & market segment.

If you are going to upgrade, I think the D700 is one of the best DSLR cameras available today.

If you decide you want to sell your D50, please contact me.

The D90 is the Nikon's top of the line entry level camera. It has the same image sensor as the more expensive D300 so it actually has a bit better high ISO performance than the D300.

The D90 does lack some of the feature set the D300 has like frames per second and number of automatic brackets. Any lenses you have now will work just fine on the D90.

Actually the D70 is not as good as the D50. If you plan on doing this for a while then you would be better off with the D300 but, if you feel the need to upgrade now then the D90 will serve you for quite awhile. I personally would keep my D50 as well, I regret not having kept mine after I upgraded. Which ever body you choose your next upgrades will all be glass or, should be. Also remember the D5000 does not AF with lenses that dont have their own motors so, you limit your lens selection to some extent.

I'm always assigned to sports events and indoor meetings, so I was looking for a camera that can handle low light situations but have a fast enough shutter speed.

Just wondering, what kind of lens(es) do you currently have with your D50? A fast lens will for sure help in this type of situation.

I'm always assigned to sports events and indoor meetings, so I was looking for a camera that can handle low light situations but have a fast enough shutter speed.

Just wondering, what kind of lens(es) do you currently have with your D50? A fast lens will for sure help in this type of situation.

Well I only have three:
Nikon 18-50 kit
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 55-200mm VR

PS I will probably save up on a D300 and get that next year when I can get a job. And will keep the d50 as a back up or just keep my 50mm and flash on that then my 55-200 on the 300. But who knows?

Well I only have three:
Nikon 18-50 kit
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 55-200mm VR

35mm 1.8? 85mm 1.8?

It's labled as 50mm but when I put it on it's mor than that 75 or 85mm

Keep in mind that if you consider photography as a career you will be more interested in ISO 100 as opposed to 400 and above. Cropping will be at a minimal. Best advice is to save 2 grand then make your decision. The possibilities are endless.

Love & Bass

How long have you had the D50? I've had my D60 for less than 2 months and I am already contemplating the D300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back