After my first camera

Ha I have had mine for over a year and a half.

But saveing up 2k for a better camera or body? I know the d300 can shoot with an ISO of 100 but it's just not called that. But why would I want to do that?

I think this maybe helpful to OP.

Here the question. I think everyone can chime in.

Current setup: Nikon D50 camera with Nikon 18-50mm, 50mm f/1.8, 55-200mm VR

With $2000 budget, how would you spend it to improve the photos taken in "Sports events and indoor meetings?

I think this maybe helpful to OP.

Here the question. I think everyone can chime in.

Current setup: Nikon D50 camera with Nikon 18-50mm, 50mm f/1.8, 55-200mm VR

With $2000 budget, how would you spend it to improve the photos taken in "Sports events and indoor meetings?

I'd buy a D90 with Tamron f/2.8 17-50 and a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 lens.

If that's just on the outside, I would get the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens instead of the Nikkor. It's like $200 cheaper than the Nikkor.

Either way, D90, with f/2.8 glass. Looking at third party if I had to.

well I thought about getting a D90 body but I figured on the D300. Hopefully it will last me a while and wont have to upgrade soon(I heard that before). And I seam pleased with my lenses so for but eventually I want to replace the kit lens with something with a lower f/stop and better quality. So any reasons for not getting the D300?

I bought my camera in Oct 2008.

reviews showed me the D90 was as capable as the D300 for quality. While the D300 has a slight frame rate than the D90, it wasn't enough for me to go with.

I didn't know about the D300 having a better seals compared to the D90. Either way, I tend to avoid taking the camera out in the rain. If I do, it's generally in a cover of some sort.

The features on the D300 I would like on the D90, Mirror lock-up for tripod shots, and also the focus calibration adjustment.

For me though, it wasn't worth the extra $900 price difference to get the D300.

For that $900, I will save if and get a Medium format film camera. The Mamiya RB67 or RZ67 are looking more and more enticing to me everyday.

That and $5 will get you a cup a Joe at Starbucks.

But saveing up 2k for a better camera or body? I know the d300 can shoot with an ISO of 100 but it's just not called that. But why would I want to do that?

You can also use the ISO 100 to be able to open your aperture more in a very bright environment without over exposure. I think the D300 has more focal points too. Don't get me wrong, I hear the D90 is fabulous. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

You can also use the ISO 100 to be able to open your aperture more in a very bright environment without over exposure. I think the D300 has more focal points too. Don't get me wrong, I hear the D90 is fabulous. I don't think you will go wrong either way.

From the D90 Manual:
“ISO sensitivity” is the digital equivalent of film speed. The higher the ISO sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure, allowing higher shutter speeds or smaller apertures.
ISO sensitivity can be set between values roughly equivalent to ISO 200 and ISO 3200 in steps equivalent to 1/3 EV. For special situations, ISO sensitivity can be lowered below ISO 200 by about 0.3 EV (S, equivalent to ISO 160), 0.7 EV (T, equivalent to ISO 125), or 1.0 EV (U, equivalent to ISO 100), or raised above ISO 3200 by about 0.3 EV (P, equivalent to ISO 4000), 0.7 EV (Q, equivalent to ISO 5000), or 1.0 EV
(R, equivalent to ISO 6400). Auto and scene modes also offer an AUTO option (the default setting), which allows the camera to set ISO sensitivity automatically in response to lighting conditions. 01 is displayed in the control panel and viewfinder when AUTO is selected

I have been using the L1.0 setting the last couple days and it's quite capable.

I just noticed, if you shoot a normal ISO, 200, 400, 320 etc, it shows up in the exif data

ISO data is not there when you shoot it at L0.3 or L1.0 setting.

If you don't mind waiting, and saving a bit more. In 18 months or so, the 5D MKII may be ~$3000? but thats just speculation.
If you dont want to wait that long, in my opinion:
D90,
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR,
Speedlight, whatever features you like/need.
Grip.
Sigma APO 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO

That would cost ~$4000NZD (New Zealand Dollars)
So about $2000 US.
I reckn it'd be a winner

Most reactions

Back