Alaska Glaciers

RichieT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a couple of pictures of glaciers from my Alaska cruise. The close ups were with a Nikon D300 and Sigma 70-200 2.8 and TC. The wider views were with a Canon Powershot point and shoot. Not the best composed shots, but still give a hint of whats there.

alaskacanon--153_zpsf6262bc0.jpg

alaskacanon--151_zpsefdb2417.jpg

alaskanikon1--217_zps79d1ac58.jpg

alaskanikon1--215_zpsa99b8b99.jpg

It's hard to get an idea how massive these glaciers are not only from my pictures, but even being there it's difficult to judge. If I recall correctly, we were over a mile away but it felt a lot closer without something to give it some perspective. In the last picture you can see the end of some ice calfing off and hitting the water. You realized the distance and size when the ice was falling about half as fast as you would expect and then were told the small chunks of ice you saw were each bigger than a bus and are now icebergs floating to sea. Amazing stuff that my pictures don't do justice to.

Very cool :lol:

Reminds me of a story my Grandmother told me about when she was on a Alaskan Cruise. As they were looking at the glaciers, someone beside them (picture a stereotypical America Redneck) is upset because he can't see the glacier...with all that ice in the way. :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back