Alaska Trip...which of my lenses are best?

Snow Lover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be taking a cruise to Alaska next week. Cruising the Inside Passage, whale watching, sightseeing, etc. Will be taking my Canon T3 camera. But, I'm not sure which of my lenses would be the best to pack. I can take 2 and have the following:

EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 III

EF 80-200 1:4.5-5.6 II

EF 35-80 1:4-5.6 III

EFS 18-55 1:3.5-5.6

I realize that my lenses are not top of the line, but they are all I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which 2 lenses I should pack based on the things I plan to do?

Thanks, in advance!

I'd bring these two, that would cover anything from 35-300 MM.

EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 III
EF 35-80 1:4-5.6 III

Thank you for your input!

I figured the 75-300 would give me the best zooming ability, but wasn't sure about the shorter range. I'm new at this (as if you couldn't tell!) and just want to get some decent photos of my trip for me to enjoy afterward.

18-55mm and the 75-300mm

I agree, the entire range from 18mm to 300mm is covered with just a small gap.
Since none of your lenses are any faster than the others, there is no gain to be had.

Why not take both cameras? I took 3 cameras my last trip and used depending on what we were doing that day. Since you are on a cruise you can leave in the safe when not in use.

I agree with Cheryl. If you have the room for the body, take it. I usually just leave a big lens on one body and a shorty on the other body so I'm not wasting time changing them. Also cuts the chances for dust on the sensor.
Check to see what the salmon are doing when you stop in Ketchikan and hire a taxi to take you on the short trip to the cannery area if you like wildlife. You're likely to see lots of bald eagles, seals and maybe even bears if the salmon are around. Keep your eyes out for whales surfacing too in the channel. You're going to see some unforgettable scenery.

I believe he only has 1 body

Thanks for the additional ideas.

I only have 1 camera body, so will have to switch lenses. Part of not having unlimited funds..LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back