ALRIGHT!! TIME for my first tripod!! yess...

random2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Best buy has one for about 80 bucks thats silver in color and look pretty sturdy.. I will have a fairly heavy lens 4lbs.. any suggestions would be lovely from anyone.. thanks..

Best buy has one for about 80 bucks thats silver in color and look pretty sturdy.. I will have a fairly heavy lens 4lbs.. any suggestions would be lovely from anyone.. thanks..
The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - Search Results

Yep, silver looks pretty sturdy.

What is the diameter of the legs, what is the height without the center column extended, what kind of head, reverseable center column? How low can the camera lens be placed? Can the camera be place off the legs vertical center line?

thats some pretty interesting questions.. It was very basic..i would say about 2 and 1/2 feet is the lowest it can go.. maybe 3ft... pretty sure the center is all your going to get from this one.. thanks..

thats some pretty interesting questions.. It was very basic..i would say about 2 and 1/2 feet is the lowest it can go.. maybe 3ft... pretty sure the center is all your going to get from this one.. thanks..
The first 2 questions address the stability of the tripod, rather than guaging it by the "look pretty sturdy".

You didn't provide any info on what uses you have for a tripod, nor what kind of photography you usually do, which is why no one could offer any suggestions.

I was hoping the other questions would cause you to consider how you might put a tripod to use and offer more guidance.

I will be doing bird photography first.. so out door photography for a while is my focus, I do intend to begin portraits also, I tend to not provide a whole lot of info for the reason I have o educate myself farther on available photography equipment and techniques.. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step I heard... I just took maybe two of them.. lol

i used the manfrotto "joy stick" for years. loved it, but have switched lately for something lighter to carry in the luggage.but the base remains the same.

the idea about tripods being cheap, stable and lightweight has been around for ages.

pick two options but you can't have three.

Think long term . CHeap brings you to replacement; over and over again. Then of course review Keith's question carefully so you won't waste your money.

I would check out ebay. I picked up an off brand Dynatran a few years ago and it is a stable beast. I compared it to a manfrotto of like size and it did just as well. The manfrotto was going 200-300 and the dynatran went for about 80. Off brand tripods can be great. On another note.. I would look elswear to purchase besides best buy. The usually do not have the best stuff when it comes to photography(besides the bodies of course) For 80 online, You would most likely get a better tripod.

That grip head is 65$ on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Manfrotto-3265-...aultDomain_0?hash=item2a038c3366#ht_500wt_956

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I looked around and found that the tripods they actually have in stock in most stores are best for point and shoot cameras...not heavy SLR + whatever lens you have on it. You might want to check it out online and see what the weight limitations are on it. None of the ones at the Ritz camera...which were between 60-80$ could hold more than 4-6 pounds. I got a slik online that holds 11 pounds...for $119...typical price online was $130. Thats a pretty good price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back