Alternatives to Lee filter system?

cdryden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are some other decent quality drop in type filter systems? I'm sure Lee is excellent quality but it would be stretching my budget a bit. What are some other systems that you have used that are easier on the wallet?

The only other alternative which offers decent quality at a less than bank-breaking price point is the Cokin system. Same basic principle, but much more consumer-oriented. They work well enough, but do suffer from magenta casting when shooting toward/near the sun with their ND / /G-ND filters.

The only other alternative which offers decent quality at a less than bank-breaking price point is the Cokin system. Same basic principle, but much more consumer-oriented. They work well enough, but do suffer from magenta casting when shooting toward/near the sun with their ND / /G-ND filters.

Cokin is definitely the more cost effective setup. That being said, filters are something you buy once and have for a life time. I don't like the idea of buying "cheaper" now instead of saving and buying "better" later. Truly. The Lee system is costly, sure. But it's worth Every. Single. Penny.

Neutral Density Filters and Why You Need Them for Landscape Photography

Cheers!
Jake

ok, I found a Lee system that has the Big stopper, foundation kit and 77mm wide angle 77mm adapter ring for $289.00. The big stopper is mainly what I was after and later I can buy some grads. So I guess I'll bite the bullet.

I went for Kood filters with a filter holder from the filter dude, significantly easier on the wallet but still pretty decent. Quality wise they are kinda in between colkin and lee IMO. I don't think kood filters are availible in the US though so might need to get them imported from the UK. I got mine from a retailer called crooked imaging here in the UK who are e-bay based, but I've used them a few times and they have not let me down.

If you think Lee is expensive you should look into Singh Ray. ;)

Formatt-Hitech is another well regarded brand.

Formatt-Hitech is another well regarded brand.

It is, but not cost-effective. I bought a single Reverse GND from them and it ran me around $190. Which is more than some of Lee's gear.

:)

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to purchase the Lee's Big Stopper kit, and while I was at it I upgraded from my Canon T3 to a Canon 70D, I also got a Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 lens and some other various pieces of gear. Yes...I am now sufficiently in debt!

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to purchase the Lee's Big Stopper kit, and while I was at it I upgraded from my Canon T3 to a Canon 70D, I also got a Tamron AF 90mm f2.8 lens and some other various pieces of gear. Yes...I am now sufficiently in debt!

Woo woo! New gear is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back